Questions Thread - June 08, 2016

Questions Thread - June 08, 2016


Questions Thread - June 08, 2016

Posted: 08 Jun 2016 05:07 AM PDT

This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we suggest checking the sidebar, the wiki, or Stack Overflow before posting). Examples of questions:

  • How do I pass data between my Activities?
  • Does anyone have a link to the source for the AOSP messaging app?
  • Is it possible to programmatically change the color of the status bar without targeting API 21?

Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

Large code snippets don't read well on reddit and take up a lot of space, so please don't paste them in your comments. Consider linking Gists instead.

Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/androiddev mods? We welcome your mod mail!

Looking for all the Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? Click this link!

submitted by /u/AutoModerator
[link] [comments]

Android Studio 2.2 Preview 3 - with Espresso Test Recorder!

Posted: 08 Jun 2016 03:08 PM PDT

The powerful Android Studio - Saúl Molinero

Posted: 08 Jun 2016 08:25 AM PDT

Awesome Android - A curated list of awesome Android packages and resources

Posted: 08 Jun 2016 07:46 AM PDT

Moving from Dialogs to BottomSheetDialogs on Android

Posted: 08 Jun 2016 10:52 AM PDT

Instrumentation Testing Robots in Kotlin, with Jake Wharton

Posted: 08 Jun 2016 09:29 AM PDT

[ShowerThought] If Google charged 31% to the top 1% of apps, they could probably afford to give the bottom 90% developers 100% of their earnings.

Posted: 08 Jun 2016 09:41 PM PDT

The difference in a few hundred/thousand bucks matters a hell of a lot to the small indies trying to survive solely on independent android development. But if clash of clan's profit went down from $930M to $917M (Yes, I did the math), they're not going to stop making games.

submitted by /u/devandro
[link] [comments]

Android Studio Application Development - eBook free on PackPub for today

Posted: 08 Jun 2016 05:43 PM PDT

Clean Android Code: Network&Data (Part 5)

Posted: 08 Jun 2016 11:21 PM PDT

Open Sourced android library to create Material Designed Settings Screen

Posted: 08 Jun 2016 11:15 PM PDT

How to create a Group of File Templates in Android Studio - Part 3

Posted: 08 Jun 2016 11:05 PM PDT

Peer programming plugin?

Posted: 08 Jun 2016 06:45 PM PDT

So I have a friend who stays in a different country, and we'd like to do a bit of peer programming.

I was wondering if there's a plugin for AS that allows you to mirror the changes you make as you make them, but still allow you to do things like push to a device independently.

Atm, we're using screensharing, which kinda works, but it has some drawbacks. The obvious one being that if I want to give over control of the keyboard, I first have to commit my changes and wait for him to pull, refresh etc. We tend to end up trying to explain what we want the other to do which is just frustrating.

There's a lot of "try moving this line above that one" "This one?" "No no, the one below it." "Got you, so move it here?" "Yup... No, inside the brace... No no the 'IF' brace... No, outside the for, but inside the if."

Neither of us are great at verbal communication either :P

submitted by /u/Kra1den
[link] [comments]

Anyone know of a good detailed time tracking plugin for Android Studio?

Posted: 08 Jun 2016 02:52 PM PDT

I am looking for a plugin that tracks the total time I've spent on a project and give me some cool stats (breakdown by day, trends, etc). I am currently using "Time Tracking Plugin" that just gives me the total time I've spent on a project but nothing else. There is WakaTime which does what I want but it is $9 a month and I am not spending that money for something I am just mildly interested in. Anyone know of a free or cheaper alternative?

submitted by /u/ProfessorOakTree
[link] [comments]

Android Developer Bootcamp

Posted: 08 Jun 2016 10:06 PM PDT

Is there anyone who has gone through the General Assembly Android Immersive program and would recommend it? I know it is relatively new and wondering what the experience has been like.

For those who already working as android devs, do you think going through a 3 month bootcamp such as the one offered by General Assembly is a good path to become an Android developer for someone without a CS degree or are there better alternatives?

submitted by /u/jmidd111
[link] [comments]

My #1 most wanted addition for Android Studio (Rant)

Posted: 08 Jun 2016 02:24 PM PDT

I really, really wish gradle files supported Ctrl Space auto-completion.

If I could go into a .gradle, pick a blank line and hit Ctrl Space and see the options for what can be written there I'd be very, very happy.


I've noticed that a lot of tutorials with example gradle files have out of date information and sometimes a gradle preview requires a different input than what even the most recent tutorials tell.

If I could Ctrl Space and see what blocks I could add, what is available in my current scope, and if I've spelt something correctly then I would have saved a lot of time.

It's insane just how much information about gradle on the web is broken as of the most recent versions - and gradle is constantly being improved and updated so it feels like the latest information is only good for a couple of months before it breaks your gradle file and you need to be real careful and do 3 more hours of reading to figure out what you need to put there.

submitted by /u/xilefian
[link] [comments]

The fabulous FAB behavior for scrolling in sync with the app bar is now available as a library

Posted: 08 Jun 2016 08:00 AM PDT

The Play Console app should have Google Translate built in or at least the ability to long-press reviews so I can copy it into Google Translate

Posted: 08 Jun 2016 10:10 AM PDT

I love the new Play Console, but what's most infuriating lately when responding to reviews is the fact that translating reviews that are not in English first so that you can reply to them is such a huge hassle.

On the web version, they're already auto-translated by default, with a button to show original language. But in the app though, they're in the reviewer's native language with no option to translate, and the text itself can't even be long-pressed to copy/paste into Google Translate. I'll always end up having to open the app, see a review in another language, go to the web version just to see it translated, and then return to the app to reply.

I know the app is still fairly new, but it's just been really frustrating.

Anyone know an easier way to go about this?

submitted by /u/jcbsera
[link] [comments]

Dialog Closing Dilemma - Help closing the dialog!

Posted: 08 Jun 2016 08:01 AM PDT

Keep Your Droid Clean

Posted: 08 Jun 2016 02:31 AM PDT

Hello, @androiddev

I have recently started posting a series of articles on Medium about how to keep code of your android application nice and clean.

Articles focus on modern set of libraries and technologies, like Kotlin, RxJava, DataBinding and Dagger2. I also suggest various architectural and development techniques that help keeping the code clean and tested.

I already saw links to the articles posted in this subreddit, but thought it would be nice to make an author post - for a single place to get all the feedback and questions.

Today I have posted 4th article that focuses on cleaning up Activities and Fragments. 2 more articles will be up tomorrow and on Friday.

Looking forward to your feedback and write clean apps!

Clean Android Code: https://medium.com/@anton.averin.dev/keep-your-droid-clean-e9c093140eb6

submitted by /u/aaverin
[link] [comments]

req: (tutorial/guide for) Retrofit for okhttp3 and/or volley users

Posted: 08 Jun 2016 03:51 AM PDT

I am an okhttp user from way back. I think there was a perl library with this name in the 90s that I was using. It was equivalent in many ways to using a nice cli like curl, but was in library form.

So when I came to android and found okhttp lib, I naturally experimented with it and .. I do still think it fills a niche, especially when credentials are involved. But then I see retrofit is far more popular and, to me it just makes less sense. There isn't any difficulty in writing abstracted restful end points so the only advantage is that the routes you specify look a little like the routes you would specify when writing a web site back end (ie, in Spring or node). On top of that, the specification language does get a little bit choppy when you start really using it. A lot of the details that would be abstracted away into the route handler or an aspect are instead part of the initial route specification in retrofit, and that just looks ugly.

Are there any good guides or articles that pitch retrofit to someone who already is comfortable with okhttp and/or volley?

submitted by /u/robertotomas
[link] [comments]

Cracked [Unlocked] APK's?

Posted: 08 Jun 2016 08:38 AM PDT

Hi all,

I recently discovered that if you search for my app name on google, you can find a lot of websites with the apk file of my app, but it is [Unlocked], so you can use it for free without any payment. What could I do about that? How can I secure my app so it can't be cracked that easily. Until now I wasn't able to include proguard within my app, because than some of my libraries not working any longer. Thank you for your help!

submitted by /u/itmakessense
[link] [comments]

Created a free Documentation site directly from Github .md files using jekyll

Posted: 08 Jun 2016 03:10 AM PDT

Thanks for reading my news about Questions Thread - June 08, 2016 at my blog Custom Droid Rom if you want too share this article, please put the resource, and if you think this article is very usefully dont forget to bookmark this site with CTRL + D on your keyboard to web browser.

New and Hot Article's :

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.