Questions Thread - June 07, 2016

Questions Thread - June 07, 2016


Questions Thread - June 07, 2016

Posted: 07 Jun 2016 05:06 AM PDT

This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we suggest checking the sidebar, the wiki, or Stack Overflow before posting). Examples of questions:

  • How do I pass data between my Activities?
  • Does anyone have a link to the source for the AOSP messaging app?
  • Is it possible to programmatically change the color of the status bar without targeting API 21?

Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

Large code snippets don't read well on reddit and take up a lot of space, so please don't paste them in your comments. Consider linking Gists instead.

Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/androiddev mods? We welcome your mod mail!

Looking for all the Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? Click this link!

submitted by /u/AutoModerator
[link] [comments]

Creator of X-Plane Austin Meyer is being Patent Trolled for simply using the Google Play Store (x-post /r/videos)

Posted: 07 Jun 2016 06:29 AM PDT

Is anyone else getting annoyed by Gradle daemons taking up space in the dock? [OS X]

Posted: 07 Jun 2016 07:25 PM PDT

isInMultiWindowMode() Race Condition - The CommonsBlog

Posted: 07 Jun 2016 10:17 AM PDT

PSA: FLAG_SECURE Window Leaks - The CommonsBlog

Posted: 07 Jun 2016 08:50 AM PDT

Android Studio template for MVP

Posted: 07 Jun 2016 12:57 AM PDT

Hi guys,

First post here even if I follow this sub for years now!

Recently I did a few apps using the MVP pattern with Dagger for injection and I really like it but one thing bothers me: I have to create a lot of boilerplate code for each view.

So I decided to create an MVP Template for Android Studio: https://github.com/benoitletondor/Android-Studio-MVP-template

It creates your view, presenter and model interfaces along with their implementations classes and generates the whole Dagger code to make things easier/quicker.

It's make for my own needs and it's my very first template so don't expect too much but I thought some of you may have some feedback and even may find it useful.

Cheers.

submitted by /u/benoitletondor
[link] [comments]

coding tool

Posted: 07 Jun 2016 11:18 PM PDT

I want to sell my app

Posted: 07 Jun 2016 09:51 PM PDT

What do you fellow indie devs do to try and stop Samsung and other manufacturers from totally screwing up a launch?

Posted: 07 Jun 2016 04:52 AM PDT

Today marks like the third time I've had to release a quick X.X.1 update to resolve some bullshit issue that only affects samsung devices. I am so unbelievably tired of the fragmented and unreliable sdk that we're forced to code against yet have no assurance of actual quality since manufacturers can just go in and muck around however they want.

I'm an indie dev. I run this app on the side. It doesn't yet make enough money for me to warrant going out and buying physical test devices from a handful of manufacturers, but I feel like that's my only option to ensure I don't break peoples Ux on a release.

Samsung's developer site hosts a handful of device emulators, but not once have those actually helped me recreate the issues my users report or my crash logs show. I feel like I'm at a loss and it's so frustrating. I went to bed so excited last night that I was able to get a new feature out to my users, and now that feeling is completely crushed by knowing I got someone all excited over the update only to have it crash the app on launch.

Seriously, fuck Samsung.

submitted by /u/b1ackcat
[link] [comments]

Where do you store your URL's inside of your app.

Posted: 07 Jun 2016 07:23 PM PDT

In my app, I am making calls to my server php files. So I need to use their urls to access them (www.my-website.com/android/application/file.php).

Are there any proper ways to store these? I just had them as private variables in the classes I was using them but thinking about throwing them all in a single class hidden somewhere just in case. What is the likelihood someone can go and find these and access them? Or should I not even worry about it?

Not sure what to do at the moment.

submitted by /u/zeusCakeRecovery
[link] [comments]

I don't want Parse or Firebase. I just want my users to be able to send me strings (feature requests/complaints/bug reports etc). What the most minimal server setup that'll work?

Posted: 07 Jun 2016 07:31 AM PDT

I don't need anything that Firebase or Parse (Open source) provides. I just want to be able to receive messages from my user so that their only outlet isn't the review system.

I have a digital ocean VPS, is there some extremely light software that can handle this for me (Like a bare bones Parse, for both client and server side respectively)? Anyone else built something like this?

submitted by /u/devandro
[link] [comments]

Choosing a Bottom Bar library

Posted: 07 Jun 2016 04:31 AM PDT

Bottom Bar navigation recently became a thing on Android. I'm aware of these open-source libraries to achieve the effect:

Anyone got experience of one or both of these? Any reason I should prefer one over the other?

submitted by /u/gborland
[link] [comments]

Will java program language work on play store?

Posted: 07 Jun 2016 10:46 PM PDT

trying to make a game just trying to make sure it works

submitted by /u/gamerdude104
[link] [comments]

[Library] EasyCallback, simplified Retrofit Callback

Posted: 07 Jun 2016 07:38 AM PDT

Hey peoples. I created this tiny library because in most apps that I work on, I treat an HTTP error (404, 500 etc) the same way as I would any other error (IOException, TimeoutException) and I basically do not want to have to check if(response.isSuccessful()) in all my onResponse callbacks.

https://github.com/Commit451/EasyCallback

This EasyCallback looks and feels a bit more like the Retrofit 1.X Callback, which is more suitable for some apps that do not need to actually look at the HTTP response of an error. You can still do so by calling getResponse() within either callback, as well as getCall(). Anyways, hope this library helps someone else save some time!

submitted by /u/Jawnnypoo
[link] [comments]

Android App in Scala to Create a Virtual Environment for Your Apps

Posted: 07 Jun 2016 06:55 AM PDT

[question] How approve an application correctly? suggestions?

Posted: 07 Jun 2016 06:47 AM PDT

Hello everyone! I am new to this sub, but I think you are the people who can help me with this.

 

Work in medium / large company (+1000). the company does not develop software. outsources the development of their applications.

 

Before launching the applications they develop for us, I have the responsibility to approve the application (and updates).

 

what I think, it is that I have to prove 3 things:

 

  • The application itself. (the software)
  • the backend of the application (which also has updates)
  • and test the application in as many more devices can.

 

The question is:

 

  • Ways of homologation applications that you recommend?
  • I have to do functional testing?
  • in which order I have to test the app, backend and devices?

 

If anyone has any PDF, or website, or place where I can learn the subject, or guide me, it would be excellent!

 

At first applications will be Android, but then will be for iOS, SmartTV, game consoles, etc.

 

from already thank you very much to all!

submitted by /u/mastrom10
[link] [comments]

Library/SDK and sample application project

Posted: 07 Jun 2016 02:16 PM PDT

Alright so I am developing an SDK and along with it am building the sample app. We have partners that use the SDK, and the company wishes to keep the code of the sdk private.

Previously, I had a project set up with 2 modules: A sample application and the sdk itself.

This made it simple to develop the sample app alongside the sdk as I could just add it as a dependency via "compile(:app)", which also provided a good way to test the sdks basic functionality, along with having all my related code in a single project.

This project was under a single git repo.

Is there a way to seperate it so that I can have the sample app be a public repository, while keeping the actual sdk code private?

I couldnt come up with a solution so decided to split off the modules into their own projects and repos, but am now second guessing this as its seriously affected my workflow.

Any input on how to restructure all of this for best efficiency would be great. Thanks!

submitted by /u/5pitf1r3
[link] [comments]

Android Development Offered for Pepper the Robot, a Totally Not-Suspicious Robot Friend

Posted: 07 Jun 2016 02:54 AM PDT

New android dev looking for some big picture advice before I start my app.

Posted: 07 Jun 2016 10:00 AM PDT

I'm a 2nd year cs student making a nonprofit android app this summer to boost my resume a bit. The app is a simple budget app that lets you enter expenses in with a tag (like rent, food, gas) and then lets you see totals over the month or year.

My question is about the set up of data structure itself. Would something like Expense( holds amount and tag) - Day( an array of expense objects) and then for month/ year you can just grab totals from the day objects?

This doesn't seem very efficient but i've never made something of this scale. I don't need someone to straight up tell me the answer but I have limited time to finish this so being pointed in the right direction before I start would be amazing. Thank you in advance.

submitted by /u/TheNewLegendBegins
[link] [comments]

Network traffic monitoring for your mobile apps

Posted: 07 Jun 2016 02:37 AM PDT

Kuery - library for safe(r) SQLite in Kotlin.

Posted: 07 Jun 2016 05:41 AM PDT

Keep Your Droid Clean: Preparation

Posted: 06 Jun 2016 11:25 PM PDT

Thanks for reading my news about Questions Thread - June 07, 2016 at my blog Custom Droid Rom if you want too share this article, please put the resource, and if you think this article is very usefully dont forget to bookmark this site with CTRL + D on your keyboard to web browser.

New and Hot Article's :

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.