Saturday APPreciation (Sep 17 2016) - Your weekly app recommendation/request thread!

Saturday APPreciation (Sep 17 2016) - Your weekly app recommendation/request thread!


Saturday APPreciation (Sep 17 2016) - Your weekly app recommendation/request thread!

Posted: 17 Sep 2016 04:02 AM PDT

Note 1. Check out our apps wiki for previous threads and apps curated by the reddit Android community!

Note 2. Join us at /r/MoronicMondayAndroid, a sub serving as a repository for our retired weekly threads. Just pick any thread and Ctrl-F your way to wisdom!

Note 2. Join our Discord, IRC, and Telegram chat-rooms! Please see our wiki for instructions.


This weekly Saturday thread is for:
* App promotion,
* App praise/sharing


Rules:

1) If you are a developer, you may promote your own app ONLY under the bolded, distinguished moderator comment. Users: if you think someone is trying to bypass this rule by promoting their app in the general thread, click the report button so we can take a look!

submitted by /u/AutoModerator
[link] [comments]

Mega-Thread: Searching for a new Android device after the iPhone 7 launch? What would you recommend? Discuss below or go to /r/PickanAndroidForMe and /r/AndroidQuestions for further assistance.

Posted: 17 Sep 2016 10:10 AM PDT

Hello everyone,

I'm your friendly moderator here again to keep us up-to-date and inform our community about some excellent Android related subreddits.

While approving/removing an abnormal amount of questions within the moderation queue I noticed a trend. Over a dozen users last night asked the same question, "what Android device would you recommend to an iPhone user? The iPhone 7 is not for me."

Usually moderators would see these types of threads and simply point them to /r/PickanAndroidForMe and /r/AndroidQuestions then remove the post. However, I feel like this topic could be a discussion done by the community. Thus I'm creating this mega-thread and PSA directing them to those other subreddits. Especially after the controversial audio jack being removed, many people are searching for alternatives.

Alright Android fam, what device(s) would you recommend?

submitted by /u/Xtorting
[link] [comments]

EXCLUSIVE: Pixel Software Updates, Partition Changes, Dual Booting & Seamless Custom ROM Updates

Posted: 17 Sep 2016 11:19 AM PDT

Who else goes through the Play Store and checks out an app based on its icon?

Posted: 17 Sep 2016 08:31 AM PDT

Especially those material design ones

submitted by /u/pvh0601
[link] [comments]

Solid Explorer updated with File Encryption and Fingerprint support

Posted: 17 Sep 2016 11:10 AM PDT

Google is testing the option to queue Play Store downloads for when WiFi is available

Posted: 17 Sep 2016 12:38 AM PDT

What's everyone's general consensus on Nougat's notifications re-design?

Posted: 17 Sep 2016 08:46 AM PDT

I haven't really seen people talk about it, and I might not have the popular opinion, but damn do I hate it. It feels like a lot was changed for no good reason and the result is just ugly not as attractive.

Marshmallow's notifications were just perfect. They were thin, had the right amount of transparency, appropriate animations (pop-in/out, swipe away), and were a perfect example of material design (appearance of paper on top of a surface).

But what the hell is this? The added amount of padding makes the notification bigger (even with a smaller display size setting), the background is divided in half thanks to zero margins, icons and labels are moved around for no beneficial reason (notice the icon isn't vertically centered), and the animations don't really fit.

I get there's added functionality such as changing notification settings from within the notification, improved notification grouping, and direct reply with messaging apps, but all of this could have been done without making it all look worse.

I feel like I'm dealing with iOS notifications all over again. In fact, it's like iOS 10 and Nougat decided to trade styles. Now Nougat's looks ugly is not as attractive while iOS's looks great IMO.

I apologize if it feels like I'm going against the grain here, but I'm really curious as to what everyone else on r/Android thinks. Do you think it's pretty? ugly not pretty? okay? What do you think?

EDIT: It looks like most people absolutely love them, and that's perfectly fine! Good to see everyone expressing their opinions in a civil manner. This obviously isn't a deal-breaker and I'll probably just have to deal with it over time. 🙃

EDIT 2: To those saying I don't like it just because it's "different", that's not it. There's no point in explaining it any further because 1) I have already given my thoughts as to why I don't like it (a few others have as well), and 2) at the end of the day, it's just an opinion. I think the new features are a welcome change, it's just the style that bugs me a bit, that's all.

To those asking for the live wallpaper: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gamelounge.chrooma_2_lwp.android

Similar live wallpaper: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gamelounge.chrooma_lwp.android&hl=en

submitted by /u/seoulstyle
[link] [comments]

In the YouTube app, Does anyone else keep going to the end of the video when trying to go full screen?

Posted: 17 Sep 2016 03:56 AM PDT

Michigan State University researchers spoof mobile fingerprint scanning using only paper and conductive ink

Posted: 17 Sep 2016 07:34 AM PDT

Size comparison of iPhone 6+ and Pixel XL/Marlin

Posted: 17 Sep 2016 12:03 PM PDT

8 Best Apps for customizing Nougat's Quick Settings panel

Posted: 17 Sep 2016 07:39 AM PDT

Unofficial CM14 is out for HTC One M8

Posted: 17 Sep 2016 06:09 AM PDT

Pixel Phones Sized up against Nexus and iPhones.

Posted: 17 Sep 2016 04:37 AM PDT

Just swapped my Note 7 - Here's my experience

Posted: 17 Sep 2016 11:26 AM PDT

I just swapped my old "defective" Note 7 for a new one. Here's my experience:

I originally purchased the Note 7 on Sprint's website with a 2 year agreement in late August. I received my Note 7 a few days later and activated it. Three days after I received it in the mail, I began hearing news stories about the Note 7 battery issue and Samsung began the voluntary recall.

I later received e-mails advising me to turn off my Note 7 and exchange it immediately shortly thereafter. I tried to do this by going into a Sprint store near me and they basically told me "It's no big deal, we don't have the new ones in yet. Just use the original charger it came with and you'll be fine. We'll get them in a few days."

A few days went by and I called last Thursday. Still no new Note 7s. In the meantime, I dropped my caseless Note 7 on my driveway and cracked the screen (FUUUUUUUUUU*********).

Today, I called my local Sprint store and they said they just received a shipment. I immediately drove to the store and exchanged it out. When I was there, the fact that my screen was cracked was never even brought up. I think it helped that I bought an Otterbox case while at the store.

It took a minute to transfer all my data from the old phone to the new one. What I found curious was that even though the new Note 7 came in a box with all the accessories I already received, I did not get the box or any of the new accessories. No biggie, I already have everything anyway...however, I did not get to see if the label was any different for the United States as far as different labeling to denote the new "safe" Note 7s.

After completing the swap, I went home and checked the IMEI on Samsung's official website. It's legit and not going to explode. Now I have to spend the next few days tweaking the settings to get the phone back to what I got used to.

submitted by /u/crxguy
[link] [comments]

Another helpful tip for the Google keyboard.

Posted: 17 Sep 2016 08:56 AM PDT

I remember a short while back that someone pointed out that you can navigate back and forth in text by holding down the space bar and sliding back and forth...

I recently found out that you can delete whole words by holding down backspace and sliding back.

Edit: It was pointed out to me that it highlights the text to be deleted. It's more of a function to delete whole words rather than text selection.

Not sure if this is common knowledge but I thought I'd share.

submitted by /u/Compared_to_what
[link] [comments]

What phone has / had the worst UI you've ever seen?

Posted: 17 Sep 2016 11:22 AM PDT

For me, it's a tie between the Motorola Atrix with MOTOBLUR of yore, or anything with the ICS version of TouchWiz

submitted by /u/jacobjkeyes
[link] [comments]

How Android updates will change with Nougat | AndroidAuthority

Posted: 17 Sep 2016 06:35 AM PDT

iPhone 7 Plus vs Galaxy Note 7 Camera Comparison

Posted: 17 Sep 2016 08:12 AM PDT

Xperia S got android 7 now

Posted: 17 Sep 2016 04:44 AM PDT

Which is your favourite Root App by far?

Posted: 17 Sep 2016 03:56 PM PDT

I am an big android enthusiast as well as an android developer. I had my first android phone in 2011 (ZTE Blade :D), it was a kickass phone for its price. I loved it until it was slow as hell. At that point while searching around for ways to speed up my phone, I stumbled upon XDA-Developers. Since that day, I have loved every single thing about my android phones. I always root them no matter how new they are, cause I know I can manage if something goes wrong. Just wondering Which Root apps you guys use the most? For me they are AdAway (https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=org.adaway), Root Power Explorer (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.clearvisions.explorer&hl=en), kernel adiutor (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.grarak.kerneladiutor&hl=en)

submitted by /u/kshark27
[link] [comments]

AutoMagisk - Automatically disable Magisk root when you open selected apps, such as Android Pay or Pokemon Go

Posted: 17 Sep 2016 04:51 AM PDT

In the last couple of weeks there's been a lot of fuss around Magisk, a new way of injecting files into Android, without modifying or mounting read/write the system partition. It gained a large spotlight because of Pokemon Go, and their decision to use SafetyNet in an attempt to block root users, as well as it meaning you can use Android Pay on a rooted device

With the release of Android Pay with my bank and (partially) because of Pokemon Go, I put together an app that disables Magisk's root toggle when you open an app, and re-enables it when you open an app that isn't on its list (usually when you close the app you disabled root for)

It also allows for root to be disabled when the screen is off, in an attempt to allow Android Pay straight from a device that's in your pocket whilst still being rooted. I've not tested this at a terminal yet (I've not had the chance) but it should work in theory.

There's a few of requirements for this app to work:

  • Magisk (obviously), and an unmodifed system
  • Phh's superuser (rather than SuperSU, same as Magisk Manager)
  • The accessibilityservice for it is enabled in the settings - AutoMagisk will prompt you to do this when you launch it

If you're tempted to switch to using Magisk but don't know how, Android Police have a decent guide (aimed at Pokemon Go users but it works regardless) here

Now, obviously this is not a permanent solution. SafetyNet could be updated to detect and block Magisk, in which case this app would stop working as well.

It's also possible SafetyNet won't block Magisk for a while, and we may even see something like an Xposed module that disables Magisk - I considered this but decided it was not feasible for the following reasons:

  • Disabling Magisk root is slow, it takes longer to disable root than to do a SafetyNet check, so the only way you'd be able to disable root on demand is to physically block the check until root is disabled, dramatically increasing the amount of time the check will take

  • Obviously Xposed is not a universal solution for all devices & Android versions

By default AutoMagisk will disable root for a select few apps, those that I've personally encountered with SafetyNet in them (except SafetyNet checker which I've left out for debugging). I've created a spreadsheet here for anyone to add apps with SafetyNet and whether AutoMagisk works with them for convenience

App Screenshots

Video of it in action

APK download

(I'm not adding it to the Play Store because I believe it will break policies for deliberately having a part in bypassing SafetyNet)

submitted by /u/Quinny898
[link] [comments]

Google seems to be pushing Duo

Posted: 17 Sep 2016 03:31 AM PDT

LG Nexus 5 Boot Loop Fix - Power Button Repair

Posted: 17 Sep 2016 07:14 AM PDT

iPhone 7 vs S7 DEEP Water Test! How Deep Before It Dies?

Posted: 17 Sep 2016 04:24 PM PDT

Motorola/LG can make a modular phones a hit but it'll require us consumers to take a different stand/mindset & OEMs to hinge on the long-term train.

Posted: 17 Sep 2016 10:29 AM PDT

I personally feel the moto mods have been the best engineered hardware to come out in such a long time.
Even though i'd really love to see Modular phones increase - it'll need to change the way we think about phone

The current generation of phone revolves on an extremely short life span
Many people change every year and others after a couple of years.

For something like modular phones to pay off - the lifetime of a product should be very well extended
Lots of folks in the feature phone days were content with a single phone and used it over longer periods of time.
The fashion statement/proud value was much less then. I've know people who've used the same phone for 7+ years.
Most folks then only needed to replace the battery once it died and not the entire phone.

I feel for any modular phone to payoff for such a long time, everything will have to come down to product lifetime/support/specs.

If you don't have a few generations future proof smartphone spec - thats already a downfall OR release a better spec'd device that's backward and future compatible with new mods.
This means either you'll have to clamp down on the spec or the design of the phone.
Personally i feel the design can be put on hold for long-term for modular based phones

Next up is the mods - how long will they last, how long will they be available in the market and if it'll be backward/future compatible.
I dont think any one is address this.
Every modular accessory has an extremely short lifetime - this has to go away to make mods a worth while investment for the consumer/company.

Product/Aftermarket support - once this clicks you'll have to get external people onto your boat. 3rd mods should be marketed and encouraged along with OEM mods
Here the best example would be the old gen iPods, lots of third party accessories, because they stuck to a standard for a long time and the 3rd party market + iPod thrived.

Affordability - Please dont do the niche market thing if you really want this to succeed. The average Joe ensures the spread of technology directly/indirectly

What do you guys think?

submitted by /u/bull500
[link] [comments]
Thanks for reading my news about Saturday APPreciation (Sep 17 2016) - Your weekly app recommendation/request thread! at my blog Custom Droid Rom if you want too share this article, please put the resource, and if you think this article is very usefully dont forget to bookmark this site with CTRL + D on your keyboard to web browser.

New and Hot Article's :

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.