Questions Thread - September 23, 2016

Questions Thread - September 23, 2016


Questions Thread - September 23, 2016

Posted: 23 Sep 2016 05:09 AM PDT

This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we suggest checking the sidebar, the wiki, or Stack Overflow before posting). Examples of questions:

  • How do I pass data between my Activities?
  • Does anyone have a link to the source for the AOSP messaging app?
  • Is it possible to programmatically change the color of the status bar without targeting API 21?

Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

Large code snippets don't read well on reddit and take up a lot of space, so please don't paste them in your comments. Consider linking Gists instead.

Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/androiddev mods? We welcome your mod mail!

Also, please don't link to Play Store pages or ask for feedback on this thread. Save those for the App Feedback threads we host on Saturdays.

Looking for all the Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? Click this link!

submitted by /u/AutoModerator
[link] [comments]

I paid a whopping $2,000 dollars to get my app featured on AppGratis, and here are my results. I take the risk of spending the money to market my app, with documented results, so you can be safer

Posted: 23 Sep 2016 03:42 AM PDT

Do you all make your own art/textures for games or find them for free somewhere?

Posted: 23 Sep 2016 05:50 PM PDT

Sorry for the ignorance here, but I'm making my first game and I'm at a loss. I've made a few full games following tutorials where they always provide files to use for backgrounds, sprites, etc. However, now when I want to start making my own I'm not sure where to go from here.

Do most people make their own with something like Illustrator, or is there some site that offers these things free for just a simple beginner's app? Thanks for any help.

submitted by /u/treacherous_tim
[link] [comments]

Why I'm not a React Native Developer

Posted: 23 Sep 2016 09:49 AM PDT

Has anyone used Appsme?

Posted: 23 Sep 2016 10:14 PM PDT

I don't know diddles about coding for an app or much of coding at all. My friend found Appsme and wanting to make his business an app. He's wanting to pay for it for the apps being available for download for android and ios. I can't really find reviews for it and have no idea where to ask this question. Please help x.x

submitted by /u/EnjoiiPanda
[link] [comments]

Firebase API keys and Open Source

Posted: 23 Sep 2016 09:19 AM PDT

Hey guys,

So I'm working on a project at the minute and we're thinking about introducing Firebase for some features, which means we need to keep a json file in the root of the app module.

To complicate things, there's two developers working on it, the app is open source and we use two different CI servers to build commits (Travis and CircleCI).

How to deal with this problem? What are you guys doing to keep the keys out of the public eye?

submitted by /u/ditn
[link] [comments]

What are your tips for improving app startup time? (cold start)

Posted: 23 Sep 2016 02:38 AM PDT

Hey guys :)

Currently I am developing my first, very simple app. Its just a downloader-app.

About the app: Its a navigation-drawer layout with only 1 fragment at the time and that fragment gets inflated on app-startup. However, even without the fragment and a raw nav-drawer-layout, startuptime is at about 700ms on my OnePlus One. Compared to that, whatsapps startuptime is 500ms, downloadUI is even only 200ms.

  • What do these apps do, that I am not doing/doing wrong?
  • What are your pro-tips for improving performance?

P.S.: While I know that specific questions are not allowed here, I want to discuss with you, what one can do about app-startup time in general, which is allowed here imo :)

submitted by /u/beatbrot
[link] [comments]

Hi guys! I used to be an android developer by the time android studio came out. I'm back on business, can I get a quick briefing of the main things I've missed?

Posted: 23 Sep 2016 06:21 PM PDT

The last thing I did was trying to implement the by then just released material design into a couple of apps. I figure there has been a lot of movement in regard to coding tools, api changes, design, etc. Can you guys run me through what's new and what should I check and learn to be updated again?

submitted by /u/kace91
[link] [comments]

Weekly "anything goes" thread!

Posted: 23 Sep 2016 06:08 AM PDT

Here's your chance to talk about whatever!

Although if you're thinking about getting feedback on an app, you might want to wait until tomorrow's App Feedback thread.

Remember that while you can talk about any topic, being a jerk is still not allowed.

submitted by /u/AutoModerator
[link] [comments]

customized a Ready made Navigation Drawer according to your choice

Posted: 23 Sep 2016 09:52 AM PDT

Is there an ORM like SugarORM without the bugs?

Posted: 23 Sep 2016 08:19 AM PDT

I am having a very difficult time making progress in my app because I don't know what I should be doing for my database layer. I saw this thread here https://www.reddit.com/r/androiddev/comments/53z2kk/which_orm_solution_should_i_choose_in_2016/ but was disappointed at the lack of options presented.

At first I was using SugarORM, but a lot of people have told me it's super buggy.

Then I considered Realm, but it's hard to use without intermixing it with your activities/recyclerviews/etc, which means if you wanted to switch database frameworks you'd have to rewrite a lot of code. It also uses their own database format so you have to use a special reader if you want to verify that the database looks like you'd expect. It also makes a distinction between 'managed' and 'unmanaged' objects and strongly incentivizes managed objects, i.e. you do something to an object, it does something to the database (even though you may not necessarily want to persist something immediately), so you have to sort of fight back against Realm if you want to change that.

Then I considered Ormlite, but Ormlite questions go ignored most of the time on StackOverflow, even more than Realm.

At the end of the day I considered, maybe I'll just forgo the ORM and write all the CRUD functions myself using plain SQLiteOpenHelper. But then I felt like I was rewriting so much boilerplate code and felt like "Man there has got to be some way to automate or simplify this" before realizing that that's exactly what ORMs aim to do.

So I'm stuck. I feel like there are no good ORMs out there. What about writing my own ORM? Some basic thing that uses reflection and reads the field values of all the classes that extend your ORM class, and then automate table creation and all the CRUD functions, as well as basic query functionality? I am guessing this is a really naive thing to consider and it's probably a lot harder than I'm letting on, sort of like when people try to roll their own crypto (a huge no-no).

I really liked SugarORM but was devastated that it's apparently so buggy and slow and that I'll probably regret it if I stick with it.

What do I do? Is there anything like SugarORM without the bugs?

submitted by /u/practicecs
[link] [comments]

Awesome Android Weekly - Issue 15

Posted: 23 Sep 2016 02:18 AM PDT

Reddit: I investigated top 100 apps - this is what they're doing to grow.

Posted: 23 Sep 2016 07:52 AM PDT

Everybody knows reflections are slow - does Google know it as well?

Posted: 23 Sep 2016 07:24 AM PDT

Most of Android developers know that Java reflections are slow on Android - I know it's general knowledge which is passed from one person to another. Lately I was preparing doc which will help us to compare and choose the best solution to work with db and I make following statement:

it is not recommended to use reflections in Android apps

It was just an extra information, why OrmLite is slower then raw sql queries - I added it as a possible cause for small performance issues. Probably I would forget about it, but then one of my colleagues asked me:

He: Are you sure using reflections isn't recommended? I: Hell yeah, I'm sure! He: Show me!

and here I am - I know reflections are slow, but I can't find where I found it. Android official documentation doesn't say anything about it. Now I stopped to believe myself. Maybe avoiding reflections is premature optimalization and it can be less important than I thought in the first place. Good example can be Google, which recommends using IntDef and StringDef instead of enum even enums allocate few bits more in the memory.

So #perfmatters but only for those stuff which we decided are relevant? How reflections can be less relevant than enums.

Any ideas why I can find any information about it in official Android docs?

PS. I know there are benchmarks which show that reflections are slow.

submitted by /u/Szpecku
[link] [comments]

First steps in a wide, vast app world. Android developer guidance on showing help screens.

Posted: 23 Sep 2016 01:01 AM PDT

Thanks for reading my news about Questions Thread - September 23, 2016 at my blog Custom Droid Rom if you want too share this article, please put the resource, and if you think this article is very usefully dont forget to bookmark this site with CTRL + D on your keyboard to web browser.

New and Hot Article's :

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.