Questions Thread - September 22, 2016

Questions Thread - September 22, 2016


Questions Thread - September 22, 2016

Posted: 22 Sep 2016 05:06 AM PDT

This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we suggest checking the sidebar, the wiki, or Stack Overflow before posting). Examples of questions:

  • How do I pass data between my Activities?
  • Does anyone have a link to the source for the AOSP messaging app?
  • Is it possible to programmatically change the color of the status bar without targeting API 21?

Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

Large code snippets don't read well on reddit and take up a lot of space, so please don't paste them in your comments. Consider linking Gists instead.

Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/androiddev mods? We welcome your mod mail!

Also, please don't link to Play Store pages or ask for feedback on this thread. Save those for the App Feedback threads we host on Saturdays.

Looking for all the Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? Click this link!

submitted by /u/AutoModerator
[link] [comments]

Kotlin 1.0.4 is here

Posted: 22 Sep 2016 10:28 AM PDT

macOS Sierra update disrupts adb

Posted: 22 Sep 2016 01:36 PM PDT

Using custom styles with Google Maps Android API

Posted: 22 Sep 2016 06:30 AM PDT

Google VR SDK graduates out of beta

Posted: 22 Sep 2016 06:42 PM PDT

An in-depth look at Kotlin’s initializers – Keepsafe Engineering

Posted: 22 Sep 2016 04:17 PM PDT

[Update] Android Studio 2.2 IDE performance - fix for anyone using Fira Code font

Posted: 22 Sep 2016 06:03 PM PDT

This is just a quick update to yesterday's thread on Android Studio 2.2 performance issues.

I've found the source of my particular problem, as noted on IntelliJ's website under Font Ligatures Known issues (for IDEA versions before 2016.2)

Android Studio 2.2 is based on IDEA 2016.1 which suffers from a performance issue when using the Fira Code font. So if you're using Fira Code (as I know many of us are), disabling font ligatures will fix your IDE performance issues. The setting can be found in Preferences -> Editor -> Colors & Fonts -> Font.

Hope this helps others as much as it helped me. Yesterday was my least productive day in a long time due to this bug.

submitted by /u/m0zzie
[link] [comments]

My first Android application, Politics Live, has just been published on the Play Store!

Posted: 22 Sep 2016 10:25 AM PDT

Link to Play Store Listing

I'm a college student majoring in CS who has been doing Android development on the side for 1 year now. Naturally, I wanted to share my work with some real Android devs!

The app is a hub for information on the 2016 American Presidential Election. I appreciate any and all feedback; be it comments, suggestions, or even complaints.

GitHub

submitted by /u/seizetheday135
[link] [comments]

Which ORM solution should I choose in 2016?

Posted: 22 Sep 2016 07:00 AM PDT

I am going to start a new project that is going to use SQLite underneath. There isn't going to be stored lot's of data but I would like to learn some ORM (or equivalent solution) along the way.

What kind of solution should I choose? I use the word "solution" as I believe for example Realm is not an ORM though it serves the same purpose.

submitted by /u/ewscwo
[link] [comments]

Pury — New Way to Profile Your Android Application

Posted: 22 Sep 2016 03:43 AM PDT

App Preview Messaging (Preview) | Google APIs for Android

Posted: 22 Sep 2016 09:17 AM PDT

Introducing Custom Map Styles for Google Maps

Posted: 22 Sep 2016 10:39 AM PDT

Best animation practises and tutorials?

Posted: 22 Sep 2016 03:02 AM PDT

Hello everyone.

As I'm doing my own app, aside from work I came to realize that i'm not using any kind of animations aside from those that some libraries propose (like Glide's image crossfade animation) and i consider this to be a very big drawback for me as a persone that strives to be a better developer. One of the best examples of fully custom animations and transitions can be seen in this article - http://frogermcs.github.io/InstaMaterial-concept-part-5-like_action_effects/. It really stands out!

I've looked through https://material.google.com/motion/material-motion.html and they really look cool and nice. However when i search for tutorials on how to implement these animations most google search comes up with is just libs with ready animations (which is somewhat great) but i want to understand and implement my own. Where and how should I start? What should I look for?

submitted by /u/SolidScorpion
[link] [comments]

Learning IOS as an Android Developer?+

Posted: 22 Sep 2016 02:49 PM PDT

I have been doing android apps for quite a while now while studying, both as a hobby and "professionally"(work part time for a startup).

At the moment I'm working on a hobby project where I'm using firebase and a google app engine servlet as a backend, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. This has really gotten me interested in cross platform development, especially creating something for the iphone along with this.

My goal with my career is not to be an expert android developer, but more of an manager/CTO type of guy(I plan to take a BA in CS and Masters in Project managing at a tech-focused institution), Android is just means to an end. I'm also still in high school so it's not like I'm in a rush to specialize.

Would love to hear multiplatform and more project managing oriented developers thoughts and advice on this

submitted by /u/AFChimpanse
[link] [comments]

Floppy - Fast key value storage for android

Posted: 22 Sep 2016 02:59 AM PDT

Testing in-app billing

Posted: 22 Sep 2016 02:44 PM PDT

If I use my real card details in alpha testing phase to purchase something in my app, will they charge the money or?

submitted by /u/Cannon190
[link] [comments]

What's the best way to store app data online?

Posted: 22 Sep 2016 02:11 PM PDT

Not sure if 'app data' is technically the best way to put it, but the app I'm working on will essentially need to hold short text input from users that will be shared to the community. I'm relatively new to Android, though I've got some experience with creating simple offline apps. I'm totally new to the process of getting something online and able to be viewed and shared by multiple people at a time. Any suggestions?

submitted by /u/Venerous
[link] [comments]

Is anyone experiencing the same problem with AS 2.2?

Posted: 22 Sep 2016 06:45 AM PDT

On my release build I have shrinkResources enabled. Before updating to 2.2 I could generate a Signed APK just fine, but now I get the following error whenever I try to sign my APK:

Error:A problem was found with the configuration of task ':app:packageRelease'. File 'app/build/intermediates/res/resources-release-stripped.ap_' specified for property 'resourceFile' does not exist. 

If I disable shrinkResources, I can generate my Signed APK again.

Has anyone experienced the same?

submitted by /u/xufitaj
[link] [comments]

How to setup travis build of C/C++ with the new CMake build system?

Posted: 22 Sep 2016 11:13 AM PDT

Has anyone setup building JNI code using the new CMake build support in Android Studio/Android Plugin for Gradle 2.2 (https://developer.android.com/studio/projects/add-native-code.html)?

submitted by /u/fornwall
[link] [comments]

Share to unlock content. Is it possible?

Posted: 22 Sep 2016 08:25 AM PDT

Hey guys,

there are popular plugins for websites, which enable the owner of the website to lock specific content, and users can unlock it by sharing a link to that content.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about: https://dcrazed.com/wordpress-social-content-locker-plugins/

I'd like to do something very similar in one of my apps. To unlock the next workout, people would need to watch a video (from Vungle ad network) or share the link to the app on a social network (FB, Twitter or G+).

Does anyone know if that can be done? I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thank you.

submitted by /u/blulemming
[link] [comments]
Thanks for reading my news about Questions Thread - September 22, 2016 at my blog Custom Droid Rom if you want too share this article, please put the resource, and if you think this article is very usefully dont forget to bookmark this site with CTRL + D on your keyboard to web browser.

New and Hot Article's :

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.