Questions Thread - September 07, 2016

Questions Thread - September 07, 2016


Questions Thread - September 07, 2016

Posted: 07 Sep 2016 05:07 AM PDT

This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we suggest checking the sidebar, the wiki, or Stack Overflow before posting). Examples of questions:

  • How do I pass data between my Activities?
  • Does anyone have a link to the source for the AOSP messaging app?
  • Is it possible to programmatically change the color of the status bar without targeting API 21?

Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

Large code snippets don't read well on reddit and take up a lot of space, so please don't paste them in your comments. Consider linking Gists instead.

Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/androiddev mods? We welcome your mod mail!

Also, please don't link to Play Store pages or ask for feedback on this thread. Save those for the App Feedback threads we host on Saturdays.

Looking for all the Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? Click this link!

submitted by /u/AutoModerator
[link] [comments]

Support Library for Transitions. Overview and comparison with Transitions-Everywhere

Posted: 07 Sep 2016 04:33 PM PDT

A visual guide to an Android app containing Model View Presenter architecture, Dependency Injection, and Reactive frameworks

Posted: 07 Sep 2016 08:13 AM PDT

Android Libraries I Wish I Knew About When I Started

Posted: 07 Sep 2016 09:06 AM PDT

Finally getting rid of Android Fragments

Posted: 07 Sep 2016 01:41 AM PDT

How many media players can run at the same time?

Posted: 07 Sep 2016 09:07 PM PDT

Eight Ways Your Android App Can STOP Leaking Memory - Nimbledroid

Posted: 07 Sep 2016 10:32 AM PDT

Notifications, Sounds, Android 7.0, and Aggravation - The CommonsBlog

Posted: 07 Sep 2016 11:31 AM PDT

How to make a first good impression + AppIntro live coding

Posted: 07 Sep 2016 01:47 PM PDT

Why is the view responsible to instantiate the P in MVP ?

Posted: 07 Sep 2016 11:08 PM PDT

In MVP the View is supposed to be passive, the data being collected, formated and passed back by the Presenter. Why is the View responsible to instantiate the P in Android approaches ? Is it just by ease, because the Framework does not permit to instantiate Views directly ? Does MVP imply to have the P created by the View ?

I would say the P should have the responsibility to instantiate the View, it is the Controller and the view is supposed to be passive.

Reference : http://martinfowler.com/eaaDev/ModelViewPresenter.html seems to go in that direction

Reference : http://www.infragistics.com/community/blogs/todd_snyder/archive/2007/10/17/mvc-or-mvp-pattern-whats-the-difference.aspx seems to say that it would me more the front controller in MVC approaches.

Do you have any other references (the real true definition of MVP and the explanation) or an opinion on the subject ?

Thanks

submitted by /u/jacquesgiraudel
[link] [comments]

Enhance your app with DiffUtil - great sample

Posted: 07 Sep 2016 07:28 AM PDT

ViewPager cards inspired by “ViewPager cards inspired by Duolingo”

Posted: 07 Sep 2016 06:26 AM PDT

Has anyone ported their apps' notifications from GCM to FCM? I have some questions.

Posted: 07 Sep 2016 07:05 AM PDT

Hi,

We are on the verge of being forced to update to FCM(Firebase's upgrade over google cloud messenging), because on iOS, firebase pods and Gcm Pods can't coexist (As long as I am not missing anything). After reading guides, I still have some questions unanswered, which are.

  • After we introduce FCM in next version, what will happen to GCM notifications on older versions? Are they abandoned? Or there is some automatic backporting in Client sides and server sides?

  • Will sending requests to fcm.googleapis.com/fcm/be redirected to gcm-http.googleapis.com/gcm/ if the token, topic etc created using GCM?

  • Are there other problems/issues regarding to migration which were not mentioned?

Though I am curious to know general experience (regardless of platforms), I can understand if this discussion becomes limited to Android Only.

submitted by /u/lordVader1138
[link] [comments]

android-cmake-installer : A script to install CMake for Android builds on CI servers

Posted: 07 Sep 2016 10:02 AM PDT

tl;dr, I wrote a script

Hey there people,

I was recently experimenting with using the new CMake support on an Android project that uses C++. I realized that Google provides no way that I could see for installing CMake via the SDK Manager, which means that you cannot use the traditional methods on CI servers such as Travis.

So, I created a script https://github.com/Commit451/android-cmake-installer which will pull CMake from Google's servers and install it. It's a fairly simple .sh script which I tested on Mac and Linux and seems to work on Travis CI. I am currently using it in PixelAdjuster and it works well.

Hope this saves someone else some time!

submitted by /u/Jawnnypoo
[link] [comments]

To everyone here, huge thanks. My team just completed and submitted our final project for CodePath's Remote Bootcamp and I wouldn't have even learned about this if it weren't for this sub

Posted: 07 Sep 2016 07:26 AM PDT

A couple of months ago, I was learning Android (from an iOS background) and I posted here looking for resources aside from Big Nerd Ranch.
I was referred to CodePath by /u/WingnutWilson and I noticed they had an 8-week program.
I applied and was emailed the application project description (basically a Todo App but to be built using a variety of features that would make it a better experience on Android).
After finishing it, I was interviewed by Nathan and I was asked to spend a little time cleaning up the UI to make it look less "engineered".
I got accepted and it has been a roller coaster but I'm incredibly glad and thankful I did it.
Thanks a lot guys!

submitted by /u/sonnytron
[link] [comments]

Networking with Retrofit and RxJava - Austin Android Developers Meetup (Austin, TX)

Posted: 07 Sep 2016 07:44 AM PDT

Intro to Firebase Analytics and Crash Reporting

Posted: 07 Sep 2016 08:06 AM PDT

Predictable state with Reductor. Part 0: Prologue

Posted: 07 Sep 2016 08:25 AM PDT

What is the best practice to make 3d/2d map of the mall and add to Android application

Posted: 07 Sep 2016 12:36 AM PDT

I have never done it before. I have seen really good solutions in some apps but I do not have clue what is used to make it.

submitted by /u/mladenbp
[link] [comments]
Thanks for reading my news about Questions Thread - September 07, 2016 at my blog Custom Droid Rom if you want too share this article, please put the resource, and if you think this article is very usefully dont forget to bookmark this site with CTRL + D on your keyboard to web browser.

New and Hot Article's :

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.