Questions Thread - September 01, 2016

Questions Thread - September 01, 2016


Questions Thread - September 01, 2016

Posted: 01 Sep 2016 05:07 AM PDT

This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we suggest checking the sidebar, the wiki, or Stack Overflow before posting). Examples of questions:

  • How do I pass data between my Activities?
  • Does anyone have a link to the source for the AOSP messaging app?
  • Is it possible to programmatically change the color of the status bar without targeting API 21?

Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

Large code snippets don't read well on reddit and take up a lot of space, so please don't paste them in your comments. Consider linking Gists instead.

Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/androiddev mods? We welcome your mod mail!

Also, please don't link to Play Store pages or ask for feedback on this thread. Save those for the App Feedback threads we host on Saturdays.

Looking for all the Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? Click this link!

submitted by /u/AutoModerator
[link] [comments]

Android Studio 2.2 RC is now available

Posted: 01 Sep 2016 05:41 PM PDT

Keeping Android runtime permissions from cluttering your app (Headless Dialog Fragments!) --- My first blog post

Posted: 01 Sep 2016 11:06 AM PDT

UI Updates in a Multi-Window World | Big Nerd Ranch

Posted: 01 Sep 2016 10:15 AM PDT

How to wrap async calls that use callbacks to RxJava

Posted: 01 Sep 2016 11:00 AM PDT

Android developers can now apply to put public betas in the Google Play store

Posted: 01 Sep 2016 12:46 PM PDT

Kotlin census: call to action

Posted: 01 Sep 2016 07:57 AM PDT

The Power Of “Early Access” | Android Developers Blog

Posted: 01 Sep 2016 10:12 AM PDT

Job interview tomorrow for Android Dev grad job. What topics should I cover?

Posted: 01 Sep 2016 05:36 AM PDT

I have a job interview tomorrow for a grad job developing android apps. I have made two small android apps, so I will obviously be talking about them, but I don't think they are good enough to impress the interviewer. One is a Q&A app and the other is a fitness app. What topics should I cover this evening that are most commonly asked in Android dev job interviews?

Thanks in advance

Also this is a "15 minute phone interview" I have a couple of phone interviews already with other companies and they didn't really go into much technical detail. Would you say this is common practice? i.e. is it usually more likely that they will just ask general questions on a initial 15 minute phone interview, like what modules that you have studied relate to this job?

submitted by /u/wannabeprogrammer1
[link] [comments]

“Transitions in the Android Support Library”

Posted: 01 Sep 2016 11:26 PM PDT

Tackling technical debt with MVP.

Posted: 01 Sep 2016 11:21 PM PDT

I have an app idea that is similar to AirBnb & Uber that involves connecting local musicians with practice spaces. How impossible would this be for just me to create?

Posted: 01 Sep 2016 01:49 PM PDT

So I have developed a few basic apps for Uni and one on my own which uses google's speech recognition to guess which animal is on the screen (kids' game).

I'm also a musician in my spare time living in an apartment where it is impossible to be loud. In my frustrations I have searched for local classifieds and craigslists posts for practice spaces and have come up short (or they've been way over what I'm willing to pay). The thing is is I live in a larger slightly artsy city where many bands are playing almost nightly. These bands have to be practicing somewhere.

So here's my idea. Create an app similar to Uber or AirBnb that connects musicians to practice spaces in their local area which would also provide income for bands looking to rent out the places they practice when they are not using them.

That's basically my idea along with allowing people to rate practice places and bands and negotiate their own prices etc.

Anyway, does anybody have any advice on the sort of technical challenges I might face making this happen? Would this even be possible for one person to take on?

submitted by /u/herejust4this
[link] [comments]

TheContext Podcast - Episode 6, Part2: Continuous Integration (CI) & Continuous Delivery (CD) with Fernando Cejas from SoundCloud

Posted: 01 Sep 2016 04:09 AM PDT

How to sell apps in China?

Posted: 01 Sep 2016 05:40 AM PDT

It's a huge market and if not English apps, then surely games would be a good candidate.

I know about stores like Baidu and Tencent (http://app.baidu.com/), but everything is in chinese. I can't find any tutorials or videos or anything about releasing apps in China.

Any ideas?

submitted by /u/devandro
[link] [comments]

First steps in a wide, vast app world. Android developer guidance on user experience and process thinking.

Posted: 01 Sep 2016 05:03 AM PDT

Issues reading JSON data using AsyncTask

Posted: 01 Sep 2016 02:33 PM PDT

I'm trying to parse the JSON data from wunderground.com. I get the JSON data but I'm not sure how to pick out the pieces that I need for my app. Can anyone explain to me the correct way to grab data?

The problem is at line 25

Java code: http://pastebin.com/NqbPcD4S

JSON data: http://pastebin.com/zRJFeaKR

submitted by /u/tmoss726
[link] [comments]

When does Admob unpaid earnings show?

Posted: 01 Sep 2016 05:42 AM PDT

When I go to the Payments page on Admob, it hasn't updated for my earnings in August. Does anyone know when this will update? (I have earned over $100) I only started earnings at the start of August so still haven't been able to add my payment details yet either. Thanks

submitted by /u/hey619
[link] [comments]

What happened to micro-transactions business model?

Posted: 01 Sep 2016 05:32 AM PDT

The idea of micro-transactions was that they were so cheap that the user will not stop to think about buying it. 15 cents multiplied for thousands of users results in hundreds of dollars.

Now days free-to-play games are filled with purchasable content as it main monetization strategy. But 1$ for a hat or a better sword is not really a MICRO-transaction. And if you calculate how much money would cost you to buy all the content some games (like pou) would be around a couple hundred of dollars or more.

I guess that this kind of game would sell more items and make more money if the content wasn't so expensive. But I don't see any game doing it. So maybe I'm wrong.

submitted by /u/AVAtistar
[link] [comments]

A new powerful hotfix library.

Posted: 01 Sep 2016 12:34 AM PDT

Thanks for reading my news about Questions Thread - September 01, 2016 at my blog Custom Droid Rom if you want too share this article, please put the resource, and if you think this article is very usefully dont forget to bookmark this site with CTRL + D on your keyboard to web browser.

New and Hot Article's :

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.