ELI5: Why use a messaging app instead of SMS?

ELI5: Why use a messaging app instead of SMS?


ELI5: Why use a messaging app instead of SMS?

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 09:57 AM PDT

So I see all the Allo posts today and I was wondering why so many people are excited about it? Or other widely used messaging apps such as Whatsapp?

I see some of the advantages over traditional SMS are:

-Don't need traditional cell service only internet access. -Avoid SMS fees (although I feel as if unlimited texting is the standard now, at least in the U.S.) -Integrated videos/gifs/animations.

Do any/all of these messaging apps integrate with SMS and/or other messaging apps? Or can they only communicate with other users of the same app? Having to switch between one or more messaging apps as well as SMS seems like a major hassle, no?

Am I missing something? Or maybe I'm just getting old and out of touch?

submitted by /u/bustacones
[link] [comments]

MicroSD not working anymore after usage as internal storage.

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 02:33 PM PDT

As the title says, my MicroSD Card is not really working anymore. Formatting etc.also brings up an error.

So I bought a SanDisk Ultra (32GB) and used it on the Moto X Pure/Style as internal storage, everything just worked fine, but after restarting my phone Android was giving me a notification saying that the SD Card is not being able to be recognized. So I tried to format the SD Card, which brang me an error.

I recently bought a S7 Edge and tried to use the SD Card here, which was recognized by the device but after formatting it to use as mobile storage, it gave me no error, but after that the same notification came up as on the Moto X Style saying that the SD Card is not being recognized by Android...

After researching in a few forums like Android Authority, some German forums etc. I was advised to format the MicroSD Card on my PC. Fortunately, SanDisk is also shipping with a SDHC/XC Adapter for the MicroSD Cards, so I put that into my PC which was immediately recognized. I was able to copy and move data into the SD Card, but after trying to format (NTFS, FAT32) Windows is telling me that it is unable to format.

What options do I have? I know I can simply buy a new one, but if it's (maybe) possible to find a way to fix it, why not ask.

Thank you in advance!

submitted by /u/d3nku
[link] [comments]

Can I schedule a daily reboot without root?

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 12:11 PM PDT

I have a ZTE ZMax Pro and it's a little ahem quirky. I'd like to schedule a daily reboot but am not sure of the best way to do it.

I'm not rooted and I don't want to be, so I'm not sure it's even possible.

submitted by /u/DancesWithCrickets
[link] [comments]

Flashing custom rooted ROM? Possible?

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 01:09 PM PDT

Hey, so I found out that there is no ways to unlock bootloader for my phone, some factory deffects, and I can't root with any one click root apps and I can't enter recovery mode with my phone, only using PC commands, so I found out that I can acctually use SP flashing tool or whatever it called to flash stock firmware, but how about non-stock firmware, which is altready with root inside? Or Im just wrong and dreaming too much?

Please ask me any questions, and answer anything you know about this problem, It would help me somehow, or just solve this...

Thanks.

submitted by /u/Skiedra
[link] [comments]

Transferring WhatsApp Messages (iOS -> Android)

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 01:05 PM PDT

Hello r/AndroidQuestions,

I've been an iOS user since the 3GS, and admittedly have been the typical apple fanboy at times. However, Circumstances have led to me to be moving from my old iPhone 6 to a new Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. Whilst not particularly bothered by the change, given the impressive specs and overall appeal of the new device, i've been strugging with how to properly import information and data from the iPhone to the Android. Specifically, Whatsapp chats.

My girlfriend has only ever been an android user and as such we communicate exclusively through WhatsApp (Long distance due to studying). As such this is probably the most important bit of data from the old phone that I really want. Is there a way of transferring this over? I have both local backups (saved to my mac) and iCloud backups of the WhatsApp chats, around 900mb in size.

Thanks

submitted by /u/Miiiiiitch
[link] [comments]

Galaxy S7 or Google Pixel?

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 01:01 PM PDT

I'm eligible for a phone upgrade and I was just wondering whether or not I should switch from my S5 to an S7 or just wait for the Pixel to be released? I know very little about the Pixel and my only Android experience has been with the Galaxy phones so I thought I'd ask people that know a bit more about phones than I do.

submitted by /u/Dovahkiff
[link] [comments]

Request - Allo chat sounds to use as notifications sounds

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 05:25 AM PDT

As title says.

Thanks all!

submitted by /u/-boredatwork
[link] [comments]

Gmail app not showing badge count for Microsoft Exchange account (GS7 Edge)

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 02:14 PM PDT

I've got a Microsoft Exchange account loaded on my gmail app, and when I get emails, I do get notifications, but I don't get any badge count that says I've got a certain number of unread emails. However, if I get an email to my gmail, the badge count shows.

I've gone into settings, and made sure all the notification settings for my exchange account is on, but nothing. I used the regular email app that came with my phone, and set that up with the same Microsoft Exchange email account, and that app does give unread badge counts.

I just want to be able to use everything on the Gmail app...anyone got any ideas?

submitted by /u/shhhpiderman
[link] [comments]

Coloring book app w/S Pen support?

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 02:12 PM PDT

Now that I have a Note 7 (again), I wanted to dry out one of these basic coloring book apps to use with my S Pen. I tried a few, and they just fill in the color with a simple tap :/. Anyone know of a little coloring book app that properly supports the S Pen, including pressure sensitivity?

submitted by /u/besweeet
[link] [comments]

What is the meaning of this little dot?

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 01:51 PM PDT

http://i.imgur.com/WKnYNcy.jpg

I mean the little point on the left side of the notification bar. It's no notification and I have no new/special apps running...

submitted by /u/MedBull
[link] [comments]

Long time apple user switching to android, what should I know?

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 01:48 PM PDT

So, I'm pretty tired of all the apple bullshit and I want to make the switch, but there is so many android phones on the market I really got no clue what to get.. All I know is that I want a big screen, micro sd card slot and a good battery. I don't care about 4k screen or stuff like that, I just want a good phone that can do almost everything.

submitted by /u/wisyf
[link] [comments]

Note 4 is making loud rattling noise when I shake it, and the camera lens itself vibrates when i open the camera app, is the camera about to fail?

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 01:47 PM PDT

So I took my Note 4 on a bike ride yesterday, I figured it would be better to keep it in my bike bag than my pocket, so I put it in my belt holster which I wrapped in a plastic grocery bag and then put that inside by bike bag, I figured it would be okay.

Well since that bike ride, the pedometer sensor has stopped working completely (no pedometer apps will read any steps counted at all), and the entire phone makes a loud rattling noise as if something is loose inside the phone. I took out the s-pen, the back cover, the sd card, and I held my fingers over all the buttons, but it still makes that rattling noise.

So I looked it up, and this is something related to the physical image stabilization feature that moves the lens. Only I've never heard this noise before the bike ride. And now when I open the camera app, my phone vibrates, only it doesn't come out of the vibrator motor, it comes out of the camera lens and is much more subtle, but enough to feel it. When you start recording, the rattling goes down a little, but is still pretty loud and definitely loud enough to pick up on the microphone.

Did I really just manage to completely break a sensor and almost break the camera just from putting my phone in an extremely padded bike bag for a couple hours?

submitted by /u/moeburn
[link] [comments]

Allo problem?

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 01:30 PM PDT

So I've been using Allo. It has been really great so far but I have one concern. Now I don't know if this is a problem only for me but when I am listening to music and send a message on Allo, the music stops for a second until the message is sent/delivered.

If this only applies to me, is there any fix towards this? Thanks!

submitted by /u/yknblog
[link] [comments]

Any compact phones with 3GB RAM? That's not Xperia X compact?

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 10:45 AM PDT

I like compact phones. I got an Xperia Z5 Compact almost a year ago because the battery in my Z1 Compact died.

If I run Pokemon Go, it pretty much kills every other app in the background. So, I can't even switch back and forth between PoGo and a browser/hangout/etc without restarting the apps each time. The Z5 is also generally slow and laggy because it has only 2 GB memory.

I would gladly get the new X Compact if it was water-resistant. Or at least if it was much cheaper -- but it's selling right now for $500 (almost as much as the Z5 Compact when I got it). The fact that SONY used the SD650 instead of the SD820 doesn't bother me. It's not a super low end chip and seems to do well.

So, getting to the question, are there any other phones that are as compact as the Xperia Compacts that have at least 3GB memory and not as pricey?

P.S: I wish they had released a XZ Compact. Would have gladly bought it even for a premium price.

submitted by /u/not_anonymouse
[link] [comments]

Wired headphones not detected. Only work with SoundAbout. Can any one help?

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 10:32 AM PDT

I'm running marshmellow on a Moto G4 Plus. The headphones will play sound but only when I use sound about to force it to. Otherwise, the headphones go undetected and music plays through the speaker. This happened on my last phone as well and I'm tired of it. Has anyone been able to fix this?

submitted by /u/HeadphonesNoWork
[link] [comments]

Micro USB to 3.5mm jack not working.

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 07:45 AM PDT

My phone's 3.5mm jack stopped working recently and Sony refuses to repair it, so I bought this adapter in order to be able to listen to music on my phone. However, once it arrived it didn't work. The phone simply plays audio through the speaker as normal.
Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.
Edit: My device is a Sony Xperia Z1 Compact running rooted 5.1.1. I also tried it with an Xperia Z3 Compact running 6.0 to no luck.

submitted by /u/EbolaNinja
[link] [comments]

Why my apps don't get fully transferred to my SD Card?

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 12:18 PM PDT

My apps don't get fully transferred to the sd card like the full 100%.

For example Instagram takes up 244 MB's but when i pressed the transfer to SD Card it only transferred ~60mb.

Is this normal?My phone is Samsung J5 and my card is a Kingston 32gb C10 Micro sdhc

submitted by /u/DatKask
[link] [comments]

Delete Google music from internal memory?

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 03:51 PM PDT

My Google account has a ton of songs in it, and when I got a new tablet, Google music downloaded a ton of the songs in the background, filling up the internal memory completely. I tried to fix it by setting it to not download the songs to the local cache, but it didn't remove the files and clear up space. I also tried to disable Google music, but again it didn't delete the files. I tried to find the files with ES file explorer, but I can't find them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

submitted by /u/ilovetpb
[link] [comments]

Droid Turbo 2 Green Lines on Screen.

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 03:50 PM PDT

So. This morning after class, I got my DT2 out of my pocket, and I saw these horrible green lines running vertically across my screen. I powered down the phone, and turned it back on. No dice, they were still there. I googled it and it seems to be a common problem with these phones. But my real issue is im not sure if I can get it replaced since the phone is almost over a year old. It was my fathers old phone, and he did drop it but it was when he first got the phone. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Here's a pic. http://imgur.com/6e5OO8S

submitted by /u/TerminatorCobra89
[link] [comments]

Hide Android N Ongoing notifications?

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 03:48 PM PDT

The Android N update has brought Ongoing (or "persistent") notifications to the foreground. They now show up in the status bar. It's really annoying since it adds clutter.

The apps I'm using don't offer the option to disable ongoing notifications, and since one of them is a messaging app, I can't just block all notifications.

Is it possible to hide them some other way?

submitted by /u/Kyudan
[link] [comments]

My screen goes black and comes back again every few seconds when watching fullscreen video, Anybody know what's up?

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 11:59 AM PDT

I have a Moto X Pure on Verizon. I've tried restarting my phone twice as well as the YouTube app where the problem happens the most. It's also happen while watching a video in chrome through the devices own video player. Not sure what could have caused it I haven't updated the software or changed any settings recently. The screen doesn't cut out when I'm doing anything beside fullscreen video. Thanks for any help you can give.

submitted by /u/TomesTheAmazing
[link] [comments]

Huawei ascend mate 7 Snapchat issue

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 11:56 AM PDT

Hey all, I recently bought a Huawei Ascend Mate 7 and I haven't had any issues with it except for when I'm using snapchat. My friends who own iphones have told me that when they view my story the bottom half of the video is cut off and is just a bright green colour, while the top half is very pixelated. I've tried googling it and checked xda but haven't found any fixes. I'm running Android 4.4.2 and using Snapchat 9.8.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any fixes? Thanks in advance if you're able to help at all!

submitted by /u/Bondog123
[link] [comments]

What are the best apps that help with procrastination?

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 03:42 PM PDT

As a college student, I would like an app that annoys me several times throughout the day.

submitted by /u/Favorable
[link] [comments]

Flash Keyboard app problems

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 11:53 AM PDT

I downloaded the Flash Keyboard app yesterday, and everything was going okay until I noticed a second lock screen and multiple pop up ads. I have already uninstalled the app, but the second lock screen and ads are still popping up. Other users said deactivating the app's device administrator ability helped uninstall it, but the app was not under my device administrator tab and I was able to uninstall just fine. The only problem is the second lock screen and ads are still here. What can I do to fix this?

submitted by /u/j4mj4m
[link] [comments]

Need 1-tap turn data on when wifi off and vice versa, possible (without root)?

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 03:36 PM PDT

Had used Tasker for a long time with my rooted S3, now on a Note 7 and I just want to have a shortcut that turns data on+wifi off, then wifi off+data on, simply switching (NOT running in the background/scheduled/automatic, just manually enacted). Thanks for any help!

submitted by /u/es-335
[link] [comments]
Thanks for reading my news about ELI5: Why use a messaging app instead of SMS? at my blog Custom Droid Rom if you want too share this article, please put the resource, and if you think this article is very usefully dont forget to bookmark this site with CTRL + D on your keyboard to web browser.

New and Hot Article's :

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.