Weekly "anything goes" thread!

Weekly "anything goes" thread!


Weekly "anything goes" thread!

Posted: 27 May 2016 06:08 AM PDT

Here's your chance to talk about whatever!

Remember that while you can talk about any topic, being a jerk is still not allowed.

submitted by /u/AutoModerator
[link] [comments]

Android Studio 2.2 Preview 2 Available

Posted: 27 May 2016 12:29 PM PDT

Garbage collection happening too often..

Posted: 27 May 2016 08:53 PM PDT

I need to draw to bitmaps manually. A lot. No way around it. And that leads to the sharp drop-offs in the memory profiling monitor, characteristic of garbage collections. And the app is frequently dropping frames as well.

So, what are some common ways to 'reduce' garbage collection?

submitted by /u/lucidifier
[link] [comments]

Gradle plugin to install AND run app. Shameless plug, I guess

Posted: 27 May 2016 10:52 PM PDT

Leaner APKs with asset minification - Novoda

Posted: 27 May 2016 12:29 PM PDT

Why is it so hard to have a gridview and a listview together, in the same activity, with recyclable items?

Posted: 27 May 2016 07:54 AM PDT

I've been an Android developer for a while now, and have gotten into iOS development about 2 years ago. I was amazed by how simple it was on iOS to have a view with recyclable views of different sizes (UICollectionView on iOS).

How can I accomplish this on Android? Is there a way with the traditional listview/gridview or do I have to move to a recyclerview (which I hate - such a complicated API in my opinion but that's another topic)?. If so, could anyone point me to a good blog/tutorial?

submitted by /u/opheliawnik
[link] [comments]

Material Improvements: What Devs Need to Know to Delight Users

Posted: 27 May 2016 11:11 AM PDT

What are some best practices for handling JSON in Java?

Posted: 27 May 2016 07:32 AM PDT

I am working with an API which sometimes has a bug where a crucial part of a json object is null. But I don't want to have 100 different if statements to check to make sure that all values are present. Should i be doing some json schema validation? Is it common practice to do so?

Basically, I want to avoid crashes in my app. I use the data from the JSON to create UI elements. So when I go to set text in a TextView, sometimes the String will be null.

submitted by /u/ramsr
[link] [comments]

[Found Library] RxSocialConnect

Posted: 27 May 2016 03:45 AM PDT

RxJava for form validations

Posted: 27 May 2016 03:12 PM PDT

RxJava has been an hot topic for a while. While it removes some boilerplate code (if used with lambdas), it also handles multithreading really well and chaining works out of the box. I have been trying to use RxJava in my code a lot apart from networking calls. Here, I have tried to implement a form validation flow using RxJava and I would really like some feedback on this. I have used a lot of map operators and I think that can be reduced but apart from that, I got stuck at some part where I had to break the chain and make the code less RxJava-ish.

Github - It doesn't have any tests yet. Works fine but needs improvements.

Post where I sort of try to explain how I went about it and why I chose particular operators like debounce, map, combineLatest.

I would really appreciate some feedback so that I can improve the code and do it the RxJava way.

submitted by /u/jayrambhia
[link] [comments]

How to add push notifications to Android

Posted: 27 May 2016 06:27 PM PDT

Questions Thread - May 27, 2016

Posted: 27 May 2016 05:09 AM PDT

This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we suggest checking the sidebar, the wiki, or Stack Overflow before posting). Examples of questions:

  • How do I pass data between my Activities?
  • Does anyone have a link to the source for the AOSP messaging app?
  • Is it possible to programmatically change the color of the status bar without targeting API 21?

Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

Large code snippets don't read well on reddit and take up a lot of space, so please don't paste them in your comments. Consider linking Gists instead.

Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/androiddev mods? We welcome your mod mail!

Looking for all the Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? Click this link!

submitted by /u/AutoModerator
[link] [comments]

A less fun certifcate error

Posted: 27 May 2016 07:37 AM PDT

Favorite SDKs you use in Android?

Posted: 27 May 2016 02:01 PM PDT

Am building an SDK and it would be cool to get some feedback on what other devs favorite SDKs to use are.

Good SDKs are usually simple to implement, use, and debug. What are some favorites?

submitted by /u/kerb4lv2
[link] [comments]

Attention Android Developers - FREE translation of your App

Posted: 27 May 2016 07:43 AM PDT

We're in the home stretch of the development of our translation app - Pairaphrase - and we'd like to translate your app for FREE. We need files to test with so if you'd like to reach a larger audience we'd like to help you. We'll translate your files with Pairaphrase and we'll have our team of translators edit and prep your translations at no cost to you. Send us an email and check out Pairaphrase at www.pairaphrase.com.

submitted by /u/Pairaphrasetech
[link] [comments]

A some good example of how to retain presenter on configuration changes with Dagger 2 injection?

Posted: 27 May 2016 08:06 AM PDT

RNCryptorNative - for perfomance, but is there a way to do cryptography even faster ?

Posted: 27 May 2016 06:53 AM PDT

Hello, i've ported RNCryptor to Android (Library). There is a Java port JNCryptor but it is unusable in android because how slow it is. My library is roughly 10 times faster than JNCryptor, but i'm not sure if it's enough. Is there a way to increase the performance gain ?

submitted by /u/DrVolt
[link] [comments]

I want to earn $1000/month with an app: Competitor analysis and feature list

Posted: 27 May 2016 08:57 AM PDT

Thanks for reading my news about Weekly "anything goes" thread! at my blog Custom Droid Rom if you want too share this article, please put the resource, and if you think this article is very usefully dont forget to bookmark this site with CTRL + D on your keyboard to web browser.

New and Hot Article's :

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.