Sunday Rant/Rage (Dec 04 2016) - Your weekly complaint thread!

Sunday Rant/Rage (Dec 04 2016) - Your weekly complaint thread!


Sunday Rant/Rage (Dec 04 2016) - Your weekly complaint thread!

Posted: 04 Dec 2016 03:06 AM PST

Note 1. Join our Discord, IRC, and Telegram chat-rooms! Please see our wiki for instructions.

This weekly Sunday thread is for you to let off some steam and speak out about whatever complaint you might have about:

  • Your device.

  • Your carrier.

  • Your device's manufacturer.

  • An app

  • Any other company


Rules

1) Please do not target any individuals or try to name/shame any individual. If you hate Google/Samsung/HTC etc. for one thing that is fine, but do not be rude to an individual app developer.

2) If you have a suggestion to solve another user's issue, please leave a comment but be sure it's constructive! We do not want any flame-wars.

3) Be respectful of other's opinions. Even if you feel that somebody is "wrong" you don't have to go out of your way to prove them wrong. Disagree politely, and move on.

submitted by /u/AutoModerator
[link] [comments]

Design engineering firm: Galaxy Note 7 tolerances not enough for battery

Posted: 04 Dec 2016 09:03 AM PST

Mounds of Moto Mods: We'll see at least 12 per year

Posted: 04 Dec 2016 09:01 AM PST

Why is Nexus 5 so good three years later and why aren't Google and OEMs making more phones like it?

Posted: 04 Dec 2016 01:23 PM PST

I bought Nexus 5 in November 2013 and used it for almost two years. Would have kept using it had it no been for battery life.

Upgraded to HTC One M9 in July 2015. In March of this year I left it at the gym and it was never turned in at the lost/found. I went back to my Nexus 5 in the meantime and I couldn't believe how smooth it was. No lag whatsoever when switching between apps, when opening apps, when using apps, just smooth overall, unlike my M9.

Earlier this summer I bought OnePlus 3 and put the Nexus 5 aside. I thought OnePlus 3 was a great phone. However, a few weeks ago something went wrong with the battery and it wouldn't charge past 25%. Sent it to OnePlus for exchange this past Tuesday and I went back to my Nexus 5. I am now using it and I cannot believe how snappy it is compared to my OnePlus 3. Again, no lags at all, no stuttering, just a perfect phone, unlike the OnePlus 3 which I've only had for three or four months now.

So my question is, what did LG and Google do to this phone to make it so good? How can a phone which is more than three years old now still be this snappy? And why aren't Google and LG, as well as other OEMs, making more phones like it? What exactly is in Nexus 5 which makes it run this smooth?

submitted by /u/asdf9fdsa
[link] [comments]

Fossdroid.com is now open source

Posted: 04 Dec 2016 10:22 AM PST

I just published my first (Android) game - Impedance

Posted: 04 Dec 2016 02:42 PM PST

So, today I finally published my small project I've been working on for a couple of months (not because it was hard, college is a drag :/ ), and it got approved a few minutes ago.

The name is Impedance, and it's a procedurally generated infinite tapper. You are an electron that's trying to deliver a signal, and you are the last of your kind. You are met with resistance from other, corrupted electrons. You must avoid them and continue to your goal, but the question is - how far will you go?

The game features glow graphics (which are not bloom, they're hand-made) and zig-zag travel.

There are 3 modes - easy, classic and hard. Classic is how I first imagined the game to be, Hard is just Classic on steroids, and Easy is a learning experience - you don't lose by bumping in the isolation, and you slow down as you approach it to teach you the timing of the tap.

The score maximums are separated from each mode, and the harder the difficulty, the bigger worth the score has - 10 in Hard is even more valuable than 50 in Classic or Easy.

Generally, the goal is to reach 50 in Hard - after testing for at least a month, I've found this to be next to impossible for a casual player - even reaching 20 is a challenge.

Overall, this game was more of a learning experience for me, so it would be beyond great if someone liked it for what it is to them.

You can download the game for free at: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.SOUL.Impedance

The game features ads, but I've made them as stealth as I could - you will never be tricked into clicking them, nor will they inconvenience you (I hope, they don't interfere with gameplay at all).

Any kind of feedback is highly appreciated - even negative. I won't just abandon this game, and will update it from time to time, adding themes to refresh the feel, and probably adding some SFX once I figure something out that isn't just muted by a hardcore player.

Note: if the game lags, it's probably at the startup, as it's loading stuff. If the game lags consistently, try to free up some RAM with a task killer, as the game is known to have performance issues on devices with low amounts of RAM.

Cheers!

submitted by /u/20022012
[link] [comments]

So you turn your phone light on in Google Now by saying Lumos

Posted: 03 Dec 2016 10:40 PM PST

http://imgur.com/LCf2jAS

(for those unaware playing at home, it's a Harry Potter reference).

submitted by /u/extremedonkey
[link] [comments]

I think Google Photos uses some form of Instant apps..

Posted: 04 Dec 2016 11:51 AM PST

So something I noticed, and correct me if my theory is wrong, but I was scrolling through the r/GooglePixel feed and the pictures and I was on my computer. Figuring they would look better on my phone than my cruddy chromebook screen, I opened the reddit app on my phone and browsed. I noticed that when I clicked a link for anything with G Photos then it would flash twice, the same way it would if you clicked a youtube link and it went to the website and then immediately to the native app. But it only happened once. Youtube, and others, do the app switch constantly. After that i checked my recent apps, and boop, a google play store tab that was running and no google photos. In fact even clicking it in the far right corner and then hitting the info icon ( A short cut to the app settings) it opens Google play store settings.

For reference I have a Pixel XL and the nov. security patch as well as the store version 7.2.13.J

submitted by /u/chrisboy1540
[link] [comments]

What is this device?

Posted: 04 Dec 2016 05:12 PM PST

Album here: http://imgur.com/a/A3Ddl

I found this block-like thing with a Nexus logo on the front. It has an HDMI port, Ethernet port, USB port and some bus I don't recognize.

It does have a sticker that says it's not FCC approved, but my curiosity is getting the better of me tbh. What exactly is it?

EDIT: Thanks to u/fireball9199, I've found out that it's an ADT-1 (Android TV Dev Kit). Thanks!

submitted by /u/OverwatchTracer
[link] [comments]

This link lets you listen to all of your past Google voice searches/commands

Posted: 04 Dec 2016 01:05 AM PST

Ticwatch 2 Review: This unknown smartwatch is a revelation

Posted: 04 Dec 2016 07:03 PM PST

My first, amazing week with Android

Posted: 04 Dec 2016 12:05 AM PST

I finally made my way to Android after 5+ years of iOS. After at least a year or two of slippage from Apple and their software, I felt it was time to try the competition. What I didn't realize, though, is how much I'd end up loving it.

For reference, I have a Nexus 6P and Google Fi. The Pixel looks great, but was too expensive to buy outright, and I prefer the 6P's design anyway. I knew I wanted Fi and a Google phone, so this was the natural choice for me.

Today, my gripes amount to preferences and small annoyances:

  • Notifications. They feel better, and the notification center is miles ahead of iOS, but when my phone is locked I can't seem to easily access them. Double-tapping and then having to unlock is convoluted. Other times, I feel like alerts aren't being properly delivered when my phone is in my pocket.

  • I miss my home button. Having to grab the phone in a certain way (on the back or sides) to wake it is slightly annoying. Perhaps a "tap to unlock" feature would be useful.

  • The messaging situation is confusing. Hangouts, Duo, Allo, and Messenger. What the hell is Allo even for? It's a fine app, but I just don't understand this aspect of the ecosystem.

  • Still getting used to the Google Keyboard. The customization is great, but I can't seem to type as accurately on it and the auto-correct isn't as good. It's funny, I feel like GBoard for iPhone worked a little better than my Android Nougat one.

Why I won't be switching back to my iPhone:

  • The customization is amazing. I can punch in settings that I never even realized I needed.

  • It's so snappy! Everything just zips into place. More than an absence of lag, the animations feel alive and exciting.

  • The design is just better. Is it as polished as iOS everywhere? No. Certain Google apps show this (like News, which works but is lacking). But the feeling behind the design and how you interact with it is much better.

  • My phone is working for me again. If I want something done, I can navigate there easily. Gone are the days of hopping between three apps and feeling closed off from the rest of my phone or accounts.

  • I always heard that the Android versions of apps are worse than their iOS counterparts, but in quite a few apps I've found the opposite to be true. Perhaps it's just the extra screen real estate, but apps like Pocket Casts or Spotify work a lot better on Android.

  • Google's voice recognition actually works and understands context! I said "play Bon Iver in Spotify" and it was able to play and control the app, even though it's not Google Play. This is not common on Siri if possible at all.

All in all, I am a very satisfied user. Please let me know of any tips or tricks that may help, and thanks for being a good community during the process!

submitted by /u/mobocrat
[link] [comments]

I just got an HTC 10 after having a Nexus 5 since launch and as someone that watches a lot of media on their phone, I'm blown away by the sound quality

Posted: 03 Dec 2016 08:00 PM PST

I watch a lot of movies/tv shows via Plex on my phone a lot, much of which is FLAC audio and when I watched an episode of one of my shows today I was amazed by the difference in sound fidelity compared to my nexus 5.

I wouldn't call myself an audiophile any means but just couldn't believe how much better it sounded coming from the HTC 10.

That being said, I think HTC Sense is pretty bad and it wasn't long before I switched back to the Google Now launcher. The main reason I upgraded was because it had been 3 years or so and my nexus 5 camera wasn't focusing anymore and it would make this weird grinding noise when trying to focus. I would have to basically take pictures randomly hoping they would be in focus.

Decided that was a weird place to end it - basically I just made this post because I'm a slow upgrader and can't buy the newest thing every year it comes out, so getting the HTC 10 after being on the nexus 5 for so long brought a bunch of noticeable improvements and I just thought i'd share my experience.

submitted by /u/ballid
[link] [comments]

[Discussion] What is your #1 reason for preferring Android over iOS? Do you have experience with both?

Posted: 04 Dec 2016 04:48 PM PST

ZTE Axon 7 mini now available from Carphone Warehouse UK

Posted: 04 Dec 2016 04:20 AM PST

How to View Saved WiFi Password in Android

Posted: 04 Dec 2016 07:43 PM PST

Were Google to support custom "OK Google" triggers, what would you use?

Posted: 03 Dec 2016 06:43 PM PST

For example:

"Hey Google" "Go Go Gadget" "Hey Jarvis"

submitted by /u/PM_ME_CUTE_PUPPYS
[link] [comments]

What do you guys think is the best android wear right now?

Posted: 04 Dec 2016 05:21 PM PST

I am thinking of getting one, and want to know your opinion.

Edit: Just to let you know I am in Canada, so this may get really pricey

submitted by /u/Paulisawesome123
[link] [comments]
Thanks for reading my news about Sunday Rant/Rage (Dec 04 2016) - Your weekly complaint thread! at my blog Custom Droid Rom if you want too share this article, please put the resource, and if you think this article is very usefully dont forget to bookmark this site with CTRL + D on your keyboard to web browser.

New and Hot Article's :

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.