Questions Thread - September 21, 2016

Questions Thread - September 21, 2016


Questions Thread - September 21, 2016

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 05:07 AM PDT

This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we suggest checking the sidebar, the wiki, or Stack Overflow before posting). Examples of questions:

  • How do I pass data between my Activities?
  • Does anyone have a link to the source for the AOSP messaging app?
  • Is it possible to programmatically change the color of the status bar without targeting API 21?

Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

Large code snippets don't read well on reddit and take up a lot of space, so please don't paste them in your comments. Consider linking Gists instead.

Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/androiddev mods? We welcome your mod mail!

Also, please don't link to Play Store pages or ask for feedback on this thread. Save those for the App Feedback threads we host on Saturdays.

Looking for all the Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? Click this link!

submitted by /u/AutoModerator
[link] [comments]

Even Google's Android devs mess up sometimes... (look at the bolded text)

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 10:09 AM PDT

Google Play Services 9.6.0 released

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 03:22 PM PDT

Effective Android Architecture

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 03:42 PM PDT

Android studio 2.2 performance

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 10:43 PM PDT

So after updating to 2.2 from the stable channel the studio performance has been awful. I'm not talking build times, I'm talking the IDE itself. Just starting studio makes my CPU usage jump even without interacting with it or any background operations running. Also everything seems sluggish. Scrolling the editor is jittery, opening windows is laggy etc. Before the update everything was fine. I tried disabling all plugins in case there's a compatibility issue. No help.

Anyone run into the same issue or know if there's any way to debug the IDE to see what might cause the performance issues?

EDIT: Tried removing the preferences folder & starting from scratch. No change. Also power save mode offers no help.

submitted by /u/loGii
[link] [comments]

Style your maps

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 03:41 PM PDT

Hey Android devs who love your job - tell me about it. Is fragmentation really that big of a deal? Is it really just porting iOS apps? Would love some perspective.

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 05:15 AM PDT

Hey everyone I'm a year out from graduating with my BACS and thinking of making the switch to mobile dev from web dev. I want to keep working with a mix of UI and back end logic, but I'd love to be in a more OOP ecosystem like java or swift/obj c.

That being said, I'm torn between going to iOS or Android. I have a lot of Java experience from school so Android is tempting, but whenever I research job satisfaction "fragmentation" and "more expensive to develop for than iOS" and "its a port job from iOS" always rear their head in the discussions.

So I'm here to ask, are these things really that big of a deal in 2016? Do you feel like your day is hugely taken up by debugging for different screen sizes? Would love to get some real non-journalistic perspective on this.

Thanks!

submitted by /u/sunny_harris
[link] [comments]

Android Dev friendly: React Native Amazing Free Getting Started Guide

Posted: 22 Sep 2016 12:24 AM PDT

Extending Web Technology with Android

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 10:27 AM PDT

Mirror Galaxy Screen wirelessly

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 10:14 PM PDT

Does anyone know, or have done a project involving MirrorLink? For those who aren't aware of the technology - it's a feature that exists on your android device that allows you to basically mirror your phone performing all of your phone's functions without having to physically hold your phone.

I've found similar solutions to mirroring the device but it all involves having to physically plug up the phone (rather than display wirelessly)

submitted by /u/k1ngbizzee
[link] [comments]

Best practice for using RxJava and a WebSocket?

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 10:13 AM PDT

Hi everyone.

I'm wondering if I'm implementing something in a way that makes sense. I feel like it does but I learn new things about RxJava everyday and it makes me inconfident in my solution.

Anyways, I have a WebSocket connection to my backend. In order to propagate the messages I receive from the WebSocket, I've created a PublishSubject. Any time I receive a message, I just call onNext and pass in the text to the PublishSubject.

Anything that needs to listen to information from the socket can just subscribe to the PublishSubject.

Is there a better way to do this? It makes sense to me since the socket should never be closed, but something about it still feels iffy.

Thanks!

submitted by /u/pixelrealm_aaron
[link] [comments]

Compile a list of things that break Android Studio instant run

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 03:22 AM PDT

There are lots of stuff not working in instant run that I can barely keep track of them. Can we compile a list of things that break Android Studio instant run?

submitted by /u/binoybabu
[link] [comments]

Same app for all customers? Best practice?

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 06:21 AM PDT

This has been on my mind for a long time. Imagine that you have an app that you sell.

Customers buy this app from you, and they expect their own version with custom logo, colors and maybe some customer specific features.

What is the consensus on this business model? How can I maintain base code, customer code and make sure that customers are always up and running the latest version?

submitted by /u/misterjacobsen
[link] [comments]

16 Best Mobile UX Design Pattern Libraries

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 04:59 AM PDT

Looking To Build First App

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 01:54 PM PDT

I am looking to build an app where I can see current scores from multiple fantasy football teams as they play instead of having to switch between different apps. Sorry if this is the wrong area to post this but I am looking for a little guidance.

Thanks in advance!

submitted by /u/Rstevens009
[link] [comments]

What are some "buzzwords" for someone applying to a mobile development position?

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 01:40 PM PDT

So my friend pulled some strings at her job and got a recruiter to call me about a mobile development position. He says they are looking for more senior devs at the moment, but he will try to see what he can find for me. He wanted me to resubmit my resume with it a bit more fleshed out and specific as to what I know. Things like JSON, RESTful APIs, etc.

Thing is, I can't for the life of me come up with anything. I've used JSON once or twice, but not enough to answer questions about it. What are some buzzwords for mobile development I should look into adding/learning? He said the resumes go through a parser so length is no issue.

Here is the resume I submitted to them and here is my revised version in progress (taking into account advice I received here before about formatting, etc). People told me to go more into detail about the app I made and cut out irrelevant things.

I would like to send him my updated resume this week, so any help would be amazing.

submitted by /u/tvm78
[link] [comments]

Is there a way to compile APKs directly on Android?

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 07:39 AM PDT

Hey com,

I am learning Java programming (yes on my phone) and Im going to program an Android App soon. As said, im programming on my phone, because my family has no PC. Everytime I'd like to try out my Code I have to do this at a friends Computer. Compiling a jar is possible through Java Editor installed on his PC but I cannot install ADB because his father has the admin privilegs and he won't install ADB (i know there are ways to gain full access but I don't like the stress his father makes again)

So, how can I build apk directly on Android?

Greets :)

submitted by /u/omgjizzfacelol
[link] [comments]

Coders Report Specific iOS, Android Development Challenges

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 09:48 AM PDT

Anyone that has hands-on experience with Kony?

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 12:29 PM PDT

I work for a large corporation and we are looking at Kony as a possible platform for our App development (both enterprise and publicly available from App stores). We have quite a few apps (multiple brands) with similar functionality making maintenance costly.

My question is, what has your experience been with leveraging Kony (Visualizer and Fabric) to deliver apps? Would love to hear you opinion (good and bad). Thanks!

submitted by /u/theonewhoknots
[link] [comments]

Android backend development

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 12:28 PM PDT

So I'm on the road to becoming an Android developer. Among other tutorials/courses, I've just finished the Big Nerd Ranch Android dev book which was recommended everywhere i looked.

However, there's something that's just not clear enough to me yet. So far, none of the android resources/tutorials I've come accross with have mentioned anything about backend. So, I'm supposed to be able to develop android apps now but how could I when none of the learning material mentions anything about implementing things that are definitely expected from any serious app, such as user authentication/login, storing data online and accessing it, etc.

Is this something that's just not expected of an android dev ? would it be handled by someone else ? if it would be, then how could I make my own apps by myself?

I don't know much about backend development but I've started learning Firebase now. It seems to do everything I'd need but I'm afraid I'm just learning how to do their stuff specifically. (im also worried about pricing).

Am I wrong to assume that this would be good to get the job done but not so good for me as a programmer in the long run ?

Should I be aspiring to implement my own backend ? As I mentioned, I dont know much about backend. I have a spring book I plan to study in the future. Would that be a good option for me if I were to implement my own backend? I'd definitely prefer to do it in Java, or maybe C# since it's the most similar language to Java.

submitted by /u/Alucard_Tepes
[link] [comments]

Idea to create a simple documentation/todo App for Psychiatric Patients. Problem : No programming knowledge at all.

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 12:20 PM PDT

Im a mental health nurse and also suffering from borderline myself and id like to create a quite simple app that would allow one to take notes in a calendar what activities one has done and also be able to evaluate how the outcome of this activity has been (++, + ,- ,-- etc.), as well as having the ability to insert To Do tasks that can be checked off. This would be of great value for people who are having problems with daily routines, are suffering from mood disorders, borderline type and other personality disorders. Usually this is done using printed out sheets of paper but many people tend to lose theese or simply dont want to carry them around and take the notes in public due to concerns with their privacy obviously.

Is there someone here who could maybe refer me to an easy step by step introduction to creating such a thing or (even better) create such an app.

Bonus would be if the program could have some kind of encription or required a pincode to start it.

submitted by /u/sonicle_reddit
[link] [comments]

Wear Complications API

Posted: 21 Sep 2016 03:05 AM PDT

Thanks for reading my news about Questions Thread - September 21, 2016 at my blog Custom Droid Rom if you want too share this article, please put the resource, and if you think this article is very usefully dont forget to bookmark this site with CTRL + D on your keyboard to web browser.

New and Hot Article's :

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.