Questions Thread - September 06, 2016

Questions Thread - September 06, 2016


Questions Thread - September 06, 2016

Posted: 06 Sep 2016 05:06 AM PDT

This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we suggest checking the sidebar, the wiki, or Stack Overflow before posting). Examples of questions:

  • How do I pass data between my Activities?
  • Does anyone have a link to the source for the AOSP messaging app?
  • Is it possible to programmatically change the color of the status bar without targeting API 21?

Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

Large code snippets don't read well on reddit and take up a lot of space, so please don't paste them in your comments. Consider linking Gists instead.

Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/androiddev mods? We welcome your mod mail!

Also, please don't link to Play Store pages or ask for feedback on this thread. Save those for the App Feedback threads we host on Saturdays.

Looking for all the Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? Click this link!

submitted by /u/AutoModerator
[link] [comments]

hey Devs, I made an Android Studio Plugin to increase productivity and reduce frustration during coding

Posted: 06 Sep 2016 07:21 AM PDT

Android Introduces VDEX file, replaces DEX files

Posted: 06 Sep 2016 09:27 PM PDT

TIL you can attach a debugger after the app is already open

Posted: 06 Sep 2016 11:52 AM PDT

Learn firebase storage

Posted: 07 Sep 2016 12:17 AM PDT

I am intermediate Android developer and I wanted to learn firebase storage for getting data and storing it.Any good tutorial or any link about how to store and retrieve data from firebase storage

submitted by /u/ankittale
[link] [comments]

Annotation processors and multi-module projects in Android Studio

Posted: 06 Sep 2016 07:57 PM PDT

Hello,

I've been writing an annotation processor for dependency injection which works well when used in the application module. However, it does not seem to work properly when library modules are involved. Ideally, when running the annotation processor on an application module, it would also consume the annotations from any library modules (e.g. a common application resources module, data/domain module etc.) in one pass.

From my search, I have found one unanswered stackoverflow question about it. Also, I came across the clean architecture sample app which seems to do what I am after with the Dagger 2 annotation processor. Looking through the gradle files the Dagger 2 annotation processor is only applied in the presentation module, but it will still process the @Inject annotations in the data and domain modules. I tried adding a very simple annotation processor to this project that simply prints to the gradle console every @Inject annotation that it finds, yet it won't find the ones in the other modules unlike the dagger2 annotation processor.

So TL;DR, what sort of configuration is needed to support custom annotation processing in a project where the annotations are in separate modules? Is this something that is set up in gradle somehow, or something in the annotation processor that allows it to consume all annotations in not only the module in which it is ran, but also in all modules that are dependencies?

submitted by /u/Lumilieska
[link] [comments]

Building an AutoCompleteTextView that only accepts some inputs

Posted: 06 Sep 2016 11:32 PM PDT

Looking to keep a log of connections and discovery requests

Posted: 06 Sep 2016 11:14 PM PDT

I am curious about the amount of handshakes and discovery requests my phone makes during a day, and I don't know what I should look into. Just riding my bike or the train, I know that my android device is scanning for networks and devices and also veins scanned and pinged. I want to log and see this information, but I believe it goes a bit deeper than the volley library.

Any pointers?

submitted by /u/TylerDurdenJunior
[link] [comments]

What technology stack is used to create a mobile app?

Posted: 06 Sep 2016 10:46 PM PDT

Hey guys. I'm trying to get into Android app development. I am stuck and don't know where to start. I have an idea that I want to build but don't know the technology stack involved with developing an android app. My idea involves giving user an image feed based on the their proximity. For example, if user A uploaded an image right outside the White House and user B goes near that location, ~1 mile radius or so, they should be able to receive a feed of images that were submitted near that location when they open up the same app. Since I am new to mobile development, I would appreciate it if someone could explain every technology that would have to be integrated for this app to be implemented. I heard Firebase is a good option for storing the images and for geolocation, but I'm not sure if there are any other technologies that I'm missing.

submitted by /u/bhargavat
[link] [comments]

How to file quotations for chat application.

Posted: 06 Sep 2016 09:24 PM PDT

Recently I had idea of creating chatting application which consists of face to face chat and mapping a distance between two people on chat.HOW TO DO QUOTATION FOR THIS TYPE OF APPLICATION?

submitted by /u/ankittale
[link] [comments]

ThirtyInch - a new MVP library for Android

Posted: 06 Sep 2016 01:57 AM PDT

Which is the best site to follow up with android news?

Posted: 06 Sep 2016 08:26 PM PDT

How should the memory curve look like? The required memory for my app increases continuously while spiking downwards regularly. Does my app have a memory leak?

Posted: 06 Sep 2016 09:25 AM PDT

Free Machine translation API?

Posted: 06 Sep 2016 06:54 PM PDT

I checked many translation API's including Bing (microsoft), Google SDL, and Yandex. any idea where I can get a free one? I am aware these are cheap and some offer free up to 2m characters. but I want something that is cheaper or free for billions of characters.

submitted by /u/Kamakimo
[link] [comments]

Useful link since Wedding Party app blog no longer available due to closure

Posted: 06 Sep 2016 07:11 AM PDT

Since their closure, several of my bookmarks to their articles are now useless but can be found on Kaushik Gopal's blog, who was the author of the Android articles there. So here's a link to his blog which has several useful articles, a notable one being RxBus.

submitted by /u/VeyndanStuart
[link] [comments]

Finding a fix for connected Android devices going 'offline' after a few hours?

Posted: 06 Sep 2016 02:53 PM PDT

Hi r/AndroidDev,

I've been playing around in ADB over the past few weeks, and I'm having the same reoccurring issue of my devices going offline after a few hours of running an executable .bat file though ADB.

I have ~5 phones connected to a 25-port USB hub, which is connected to a laptop (running Windows 7) that I use solely for this purpose. I've changed the power settings on the laptop so it doesn't sleep/turn off due to inactivity, including disabling the 'usb' power saving option.

My program shoots off commands at these 5 phones, cycling through and repeating every 30 minutes or so. It will run beautifully for a few hours, but I'll check on it 6-8 hours later and all of the devices will be seen as offline by ADB and I'll have to switch over to another USB port or try the "adb kill-sever" then "adb start-server" command, which works occasionally.

This isn't the fix I'm looking for. I'd prefer something that will allow this program to run perpetually and I'd love if you guys had any advice or possible critiques to make this work.

Thanks so much, r/AndroidDev!

submitted by /u/Savanty
[link] [comments]

Anybody tried Caster.IO? How is it?

Posted: 06 Sep 2016 01:31 AM PDT

What are the things that every android developer wannabe should know?

Posted: 06 Sep 2016 01:38 PM PDT

I'm a senior year CS student who wants to work as an Android developer after graduation, I can develop decent apps but what should I do more, learning some backend or contributing to open source projects maybe?

submitted by /u/funky-monk76
[link] [comments]

UI specific questions: Can these things be done?

Posted: 06 Sep 2016 08:40 AM PDT

I am designer and try to follow the Google Material Design guidelines. However my developer tells me some of the things I specify in my designs are impossible despite being recommended by the guidelines. Do you agree?

  • Is it really impossible to align text and other elements on a baseline grid? Material Design link

  • Is it really impossible to align a button in the top right corner of a full-screen dialog so that the text of the button and the text of the dialog title sit on the same line? ([MD link](), specific example image

  • Is it really impossible to use a custom font throughout the app (also in dialogs)? Google article promoting the use of custom fonts

  • Is it really impossible to use custom font sizes in dialogs? The reason is that the font my brand uses is a bit smaller than Roboto. Increasing the font size ensures legibility.


I have a few more but I will leave it at that. The baseline grid is the most fundamental to me. I have found this video of a Google Developer mentioning specific commands to make sure custom fonts align to a baseline grid at 13:18. Has anyone tried this?

submitted by /u/reinheitsgebot
[link] [comments]

Deceiving dates - Novoda

Posted: 06 Sep 2016 03:26 AM PDT

[VIDEO] Implementing a Material Design Collapsing Appbar

Posted: 06 Sep 2016 09:05 AM PDT

Open Source Android ROMs You Can Use For Your Device

Posted: 06 Sep 2016 06:29 AM PDT

Simple introduction screen animation using PageTransformer

Posted: 06 Sep 2016 02:32 AM PDT

I uploaded a basic but useful animation for introduction screens using PageTransformer on github. You can find it here Animation using PageTransformer!

submitted by /u/pushpendra_choudhary
[link] [comments]
Thanks for reading my news about Questions Thread - September 06, 2016 at my blog Custom Droid Rom if you want too share this article, please put the resource, and if you think this article is very usefully dont forget to bookmark this site with CTRL + D on your keyboard to web browser.

New and Hot Article's :

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.