Questions Thread - September 02, 2016

Questions Thread - September 02, 2016


Questions Thread - September 02, 2016

Posted: 02 Sep 2016 05:09 AM PDT

This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we suggest checking the sidebar, the wiki, or Stack Overflow before posting). Examples of questions:

  • How do I pass data between my Activities?
  • Does anyone have a link to the source for the AOSP messaging app?
  • Is it possible to programmatically change the color of the status bar without targeting API 21?

Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

Large code snippets don't read well on reddit and take up a lot of space, so please don't paste them in your comments. Consider linking Gists instead.

Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/androiddev mods? We welcome your mod mail!

Also, please don't link to Play Store pages or ask for feedback on this thread. Save those for the App Feedback threads we host on Saturdays.

Looking for all the Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? Click this link!

submitted by /u/AutoModerator
[link] [comments]

Now, when Play Store rejects an update, they tell you the exact violation instead of simply providing you will all the guidelines

Posted: 02 Sep 2016 06:33 AM PDT

Online Graphic Tools for Android Developers

Posted: 02 Sep 2016 07:30 PM PDT

When you realise the game you made is just Tarabl!

Posted: 02 Sep 2016 01:05 AM PDT

Does anyone know this Webview Dialog?

Posted: 02 Sep 2016 08:41 PM PDT

Many popular apps use a WebView Dialog to open a link. It has "Powered by Google" at the bottom of "More" popup. Does anyone know what it is called? Please add a link to coding reference if there is.

http://imgur.com/qnN3rgQ

submitted by /u/newandroider
[link] [comments]

Why should you need android app development?

Posted: 03 Sep 2016 12:01 AM PDT

I just want more clarification about the specific need related with android app development. If a business person, why s/he need android application? What are the advantages over the other technologies?

submitted by /u/espritsol
[link] [comments]

Android Dialogs: Kristin Marsicano: Activity Lifecycle

Posted: 02 Sep 2016 11:02 AM PDT

Are there any good, up to date video or blog post walkthroughs of creating an android app from start to finish?

Posted: 02 Sep 2016 06:59 PM PDT

If not, does anyone with some spare time want to create one? I'm sure many people would find it useful, especially beginners.

submitted by /u/nakamin
[link] [comments]

Is it a good idea to launch an app as ad-free only to put ads later once the app gains momentum?

Posted: 02 Sep 2016 03:54 AM PDT

I am about to release an app that I have been developing since the last one year. Due to the competitive app market, I am thinking that it might be better if I initially release the app without any advertisement. In fact I would mention that my app is ad-free on playstore, and later once the app gains momentum, I will start putting ads and remove the ad-free lines from my app page. Also I will launch a ad-free but paid app version at the same time. Will it be a good idea? Are there any possible problems that might arise later? Would like to hear others opinion. Thanks !!

submitted by /u/pitah18
[link] [comments]

Almost three hours...

Posted: 02 Sep 2016 06:10 PM PDT

I spent almost three hours last night trying to get my Galaxy Note 5 to connect to my PC (Windows 10) via USB for debugging. Enabled developer mode, set USB config to MTP, updated drivers countless times, restarted everything countless times, googled everything under the sun, etc.

Today I tried again with the extra USB cable I had sitting 4 feet away from me not even considering the possibility that the cable would make a difference. Worked perfectly. It was the cable...

submitted by /u/negativdyno
[link] [comments]

7 Things You Should Know Before Starting To Learn Android Development

Posted: 02 Sep 2016 05:36 PM PDT

Programming logic question involving onCreate

Posted: 02 Sep 2016 04:28 PM PDT

I'm probably stupid for not getting this, but I can't seem to figure it out.

My launcher activity is a sign in screen. From there, the user is taken to the main page and their authentication is persisted.

I'd like to initialize certain variables/widgets (like their username, which is displayed on the main screen) using their user information which must be pulled down from a server.

The problem is that it takes time to fetch this data from the server, and I get null pointer exceptions if I try to initialize in the onCreate before the data has been retrieved.

I could store some of it in SharedPreferences, but I feel like there must be an easier way.

How do you deal with widgets that need to be initialized AFTER certain data has been fetched?

EDIT: Also, I should add that the code that retrieves the user data is inside of a listener, so I can't update the UI from within there without context issues.

submitted by /u/william_howard_taft1
[link] [comments]

Best audio format to use for short sounds in a app?

Posted: 02 Sep 2016 11:29 AM PDT

Hello, im developing a simple app in wich there are buttons associated with short audio files of speeches (2 seconds of average duration). When the user press a button an audio file is reproduced.

I wonder if mp3 is the best format to use and what bitrate should I use. Im going to use around 30 audio samples for the whole app. Thanks.

submitted by /u/mic313
[link] [comments]

Storing configuration data on network? Any suggestions besides my own data server.

Posted: 02 Sep 2016 06:37 AM PDT

So I am working on a app that will be helping users with another service. Sometimes this service may add or remove items and I wanted an easier way to update the apps data. I know I can just make the changes to the actual app then push an update but if users do not update they will either miss this new data or the app could potentially be broken. Any suggestions? Is just pushing updates easier? Or is there a web service offered that is cheap or free for pulling data? TIA!

submitted by /u/homiewannalive
[link] [comments]

Weekly "anything goes" thread!

Posted: 02 Sep 2016 06:07 AM PDT

Here's your chance to talk about whatever!

Although if you're thinking about getting feedback on an app, you might want to wait until tomorrow's App Feedback thread.

Remember that while you can talk about any topic, being a jerk is still not allowed.

submitted by /u/AutoModerator
[link] [comments]

Did you know? You can provide dependencies down your view hierarchy from your Activity by overriding `context.getSystemService()` (like a presenter or a dagger component)

Posted: 02 Sep 2016 02:13 AM PDT

How to create mobile app icon and visual effects?

Posted: 02 Sep 2016 12:30 AM PDT

Whats the standard approach to create launcher icons and visual-effects? From googling found suggestions to use photoshop tool but not sure if thats the standard approach? Some guidance would be much appreciated, thanks.

submitted by /u/broun7
[link] [comments]
Thanks for reading my news about Questions Thread - September 02, 2016 at my blog Custom Droid Rom if you want too share this article, please put the resource, and if you think this article is very usefully dont forget to bookmark this site with CTRL + D on your keyboard to web browser.

New and Hot Article's :

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.