Questions Thread - June 06, 2016

Questions Thread - June 06, 2016


Questions Thread - June 06, 2016

Posted: 06 Jun 2016 05:11 AM PDT

This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we suggest checking the sidebar, the wiki, or Stack Overflow before posting). Examples of questions:

  • How do I pass data between my Activities?
  • Does anyone have a link to the source for the AOSP messaging app?
  • Is it possible to programmatically change the color of the status bar without targeting API 21?

Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

Large code snippets don't read well on reddit and take up a lot of space, so please don't paste them in your comments. Consider linking Gists instead.

Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/androiddev mods? We welcome your mod mail!

Looking for all the Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? Click this link!

submitted by /u/AutoModerator
[link] [comments]

Weekly "who's hiring" thread!

Posted: 06 Jun 2016 06:32 AM PDT

Looking for Android developers? Heard about a cool job posting? Let people know!

Here is a suggested posting template:

Company: <The company>
Job: <Title>
Location: <City, State, Country>
Allows remote: <Yes/No>
URL: <Link to the listing URL>
VISA: <Yes/No>

Feel free to include any other information about the job.

submitted by /u/AutoModerator
[link] [comments]

Icon Packs Material Design Dashboard - Looking for Help

Posted: 06 Jun 2016 01:43 PM PDT

Hi people

I'm the developer of a material design based dashboard for icon packs. Its name is IconShowcase and is published on GitHub.

https://github.com/jahirfiquitiva/IconShowcase-Dashboard

If you are an icon pack designer, or plan to start with icon packs development, you may want to give it a look and maybe use it.

Is free and open-source.

The app is based in a library where all the code is: https://github.com/jahirfiquitiva/IconShowcase

I'm looking for some help to improve the performance and stability of the app.

If you can help, contact me, leave a comment and/or make pull requests on GitHub.

Thanks in advance.

submitted by /u/jahir_fiquitiva
[link] [comments]

PSA: If you're a (college) student, don't forget to check your school's library for Android development books

Posted: 06 Jun 2016 05:25 AM PDT

Off a whim, I decided to search "Android" on my school's library search system.

While there were not any physical books at my school's library related to Android development/programming, my school provides unlimited eBook access to many top publishers and titles.

Searching my school's library (just a state college in the US) was definitely not a first thought. I would highly recommend checking to anyone here who is currently a student and interested in Android development.

Side note: You may or may not have access to tons of great marketing books as well (if you are a developer who wears more than one hat).

submitted by /u/95shane
[link] [comments]

Better Android Intents with Dart & Henson

Posted: 06 Jun 2016 12:25 PM PDT

How many apps are actually made using MVC, MVP,...

Posted: 06 Jun 2016 01:31 PM PDT

Hi! This is my first post here. I am really interested in Android dev and I like reading this subreddit. I see a lot of post about MVC and similar pattern. Problem is that I just do not understand anything about it. My question is how many dev actually creating apps using MVC, MVP and how much better are apps if you use some pattern.

Thanks!

submitted by /u/mAg1c123
[link] [comments]

Android Studio 2.1.2 is Available

Posted: 06 Jun 2016 05:46 AM PDT

Trouble with ads

Posted: 06 Jun 2016 04:51 PM PDT

Im a beginner trying to put banner ads in my app using admob... The test ads work but I'm confused as to how to put in real ads. When I use the id admob gives me it gives me an error code 0 saying the ad can't load. Any tips?

submitted by /u/Sammybw97
[link] [comments]

Exploring Buy with Android Pay

Posted: 06 Jun 2016 09:01 AM PDT

What is Android Silver ?

Posted: 06 Jun 2016 10:53 PM PDT

Looking for Android developers who are currently employed for a short one-on-one interview.

Posted: 06 Jun 2016 01:04 PM PDT

Hey everyone,

I sent a message to one of the mods about this awhile back and never got a response, so I figured I would make this post regardless since there seemed to be no rules I was breaking.

I'm looking for two persons, currently employed as Android developers, for a (approximately) thirty minute Skype/Google Hangouts interview. I'm conducting these interviews for research that I am currently undergoing as part of my studies for my Masters' degree.

The only qualifications that I ask for are that you are currently employed as either a Junior or regular Android developer/developer in test, and that you are able to prove so in some way prior to the interview. It is highly preferable that you have been at the company you work for for a minimum of one month, as well, to be able to answer these questions.

There is monetary compensation available- but I can only accommodate up to three persons maximum.

If you believe you qualify, please send me a private message and I can give you more details. Thank you!

Edit 6/6 5:51 PM EST I may have three people already, will report back asap

submitted by /u/NocturnalType
[link] [comments]

Where can I buy/get material design icons made for my app?

Posted: 06 Jun 2016 09:21 PM PDT

Fragmented Podcast - Item #10 of Effective Java for Android Developers

Posted: 06 Jun 2016 08:12 AM PDT

Hosted database design in android?

Posted: 06 Jun 2016 09:14 AM PDT

I'm a casual C# programmer interested in building an android app for fun. I want to design a data layer where the device will query a hosted database for information. I know how to do this in a web app using the .Net framework with Sql server, but I'm embarrassed to say I don't know where to start in open source land. Mysql I assume? Can anyone point me towards a high quality book, demo project or online tutorial that demonstrates a best practice way of implementing this?

Thanks in advance

Edit: Google volley library?

submitted by /u/GrogOctopus
[link] [comments]

What do you think about my first library project?

Posted: 05 Jun 2016 11:10 PM PDT

https://github.com/Cir0X/snackalert

I've copy & pasted this class in many of my projects, so I decided to create a small lib for that.

This is my first library project, although it's very small, tell what I've could done better.

submitted by /u/Cir0X
[link] [comments]

Should I learn and use Data binding ?

Posted: 06 Jun 2016 08:58 AM PDT

I'm slowly learning Android development, and am working on a couple apps.

Data binding looks like a great concept for Android apps, but the way it works seems confusing.

  • Do you guys use it Data Binding all ?
  • Is it worth using in my applications ?
  • Are there alternative libraries ?
  • Bonus question : How well does Data Binding work with Fragments ?

Edit : Added bonus question, and formatting.

submitted by /u/captain_obvious_here
[link] [comments]

Retaining Presenter on configuration change with minimal overhead.

Posted: 06 Jun 2016 01:37 AM PDT

Question about using .svg assets.

Posted: 06 Jun 2016 11:21 AM PDT

I have assets that have a first path with a fill color of black. There are two other paths of a different color. I only want to change the color of the black path. Is there a way for me to do this? I keep finding information about using a color filter but this seems to apply to the entire SVG

submitted by /u/pixelrealm_aaron
[link] [comments]

Google Cardboard VR: Android vs Unity

Posted: 06 Jun 2016 08:35 AM PDT

Hello everyone,

I have developed Android applications and an Android game previously and now I'm beginning to work on an Android VR app for Google Cardboard.

I have looked over the Google VR guide and I understand that it can be accomplished with the Android SDK or the Unity SDK. Even though I have experiencing building a game in Unity, I was still trying to build the VR app with Android due to me having more experience with Android and Android Studio as well as believing that Google will eventually come out with more VR support for Android Studio and make it the main platform to develop Android VR mobile apps.

However, I have looked at a couple of articles and it is highly discouraged to use anything besides Unity for development. I looked into the Treasurehunter VR sample app and it took me a long time to understand the source code as I have no background in OpenGL.

I was wondering if anyone here has experience making an Android app for Cardboard with Android Studio and what are some of the resource and tutorials that I can look into. Or should I really use Unity rather than trying to make it work with Android Studio instead? Thanks so much!

submitted by /u/Charles6c
[link] [comments]

I'm torn between giving users the choice to change primary/accent colors or sticking with one to reinforce my app's 'brand'..

Posted: 05 Jun 2016 11:35 PM PDT

Do you let your users customize your app? I can think of several big apps that go either way.

submitted by /u/devandro
[link] [comments]

Sensor Data Logger - Visualize Device Sensor Data

Posted: 06 Jun 2016 07:14 AM PDT

Keep Your Droid Clean: Building with Gradle

Posted: 05 Jun 2016 11:51 PM PDT

Thanks for reading my news about Questions Thread - June 06, 2016 at my blog Custom Droid Rom if you want too share this article, please put the resource, and if you think this article is very usefully dont forget to bookmark this site with CTRL + D on your keyboard to web browser.

New and Hot Article's :

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.