Questions Thread - May 17, 2016

Questions Thread - May 17, 2016


Questions Thread - May 17, 2016

Posted: 17 May 2016 05:06 AM PDT

This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we suggest checking the sidebar, the wiki, or Stack Overflow before posting). Examples of questions:

  • How do I pass data between my Activities?
  • Does anyone have a link to the source for the AOSP messaging app?
  • Is it possible to programmatically change the color of the status bar without targeting API 21?

Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

Large code snippets don't read well on reddit and take up a lot of space, so please don't paste them in your comments. Consider linking Gists instead.

Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/androiddev mods? We welcome your mod mail!

Looking for all the Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? Click this link!

submitted by /u/AutoModerator
[link] [comments]

Gradle meets Kotlin

Posted: 17 May 2016 07:41 PM PDT

State of Kotlin as main language for production Android project [personal opinion] - Artem Zinnatullin

Posted: 17 May 2016 10:57 PM PDT

I'm liking the new logo for the Dev Console.

Posted: 17 May 2016 03:47 AM PDT

Why facebook dont split SDK like support library and GSM from google

Posted: 17 May 2016 12:07 PM PDT

Inside https://github.com/facebook/facebook-android-sdk they have all of this features:

Login - https://developers.facebook.com/docs/facebook-login Sharing - https://developers.facebook.com/docs/sharing App Links - https://developers.facebook.com/docs/applinks Graph API - https://developers.facebook.com/docs/android/graph Analytics for Apps - https://developers.facebook.com/docs/analytics

I just want to use login then I have to add 2871 KB to my bc they have a big library... aghr

Is there any place to suggest this to them?

submitted by /u/danielgomez22
[link] [comments]

How do I get started on game development?

Posted: 17 May 2016 01:13 PM PDT

I'm new to app development and I wanted to know of any tools and tips that can help.I have lots of great ideas but I'm a beginner at game coding,usually I provide ideas and themes and a friend does the coding but since he's gone away for some time and I wanted to start out on my own.I have this Idea for a match 3 type game but more complex any app that can help me with that?Any advice is welcome.

submitted by /u/Asayanora
[link] [comments]

Gradle embraces Kotlin for Android app dev

Posted: 17 May 2016 06:43 AM PDT

[open source] Card Case - share your business cards using Google Nearby API

Posted: 17 May 2016 04:58 AM PDT

We at Bloco built a simple app to share business cards, using the Google Nearby API. Since it's a simple app to showcase our work, we decided to release it open source.

Website - Play Store - Source

Hope you guys enjoy it. Feel free to ask any questions, or give feedback about the app and the code ;)

submitted by /u/sdsantos
[link] [comments]

Improving the Security and User Experience of your Google Sign In Implementation - Android Developers Blog

Posted: 17 May 2016 10:58 PM PDT

Soundboard design question - what's an efficient approach?

Posted: 17 May 2016 12:03 PM PDT

Hey /r/androiddev,

I'm making a soundboard for overwatch heroes. There are 21 of them, so I made a GridLayout containing 21 buttons which in turn lead to a seperate layout+activity for every hero.

Is that an efficient way to do this? Is having 21 layouts and activities for each hero good?

I should add that the activities for the heroes are the same, only the names of the buttons and which sound file the buttons play differ.

And I'm also not sure about how I'm handling playing the sounds... I'm creating a seperate mediaplayer for each of the buttons. And in the onDestroy() method I release them all... It works, but can I expect performance issues with me adding more and more soundfiles?

Thanks!

submitted by /u/Hyroglyph
[link] [comments]

Intellectual property rights on personal work?

Posted: 17 May 2016 06:27 AM PDT

I'm not sure how common this is but reading through the contracts from my current and previous jobs I noticed that they have always contained something akin to the following clause:

To the extent that title to any Intellectual Property does not automatically vest in the Company as a consequence of your employment, you hereby assign to the Company with full title guarantee and with effect from its creation, all future Intellectual Property created or discovered by you during the course of your employment whether during the normal hours of work of the Company or otherwise or at the premises or using the facilities of the Company. You hereby waive any and all moral rights you may have in respect of the Intellectual Property.

I realise that the contract attempts to legally cover the company as much as possible and it may not be enforced but does this mean that any software I create outside of work belongs to them? I tend to tinker around with things, contribute to open source projects and write tutorials on various Android related topics and I'd like to think I owned them.

Has anyone run into any issues with these kinds of things or should I stop worrying and get back to making apps on the side?

submitted by /u/Glurt
[link] [comments]

It's there an ORM with all the flexibility as pure SQLite?

Posted: 17 May 2016 07:19 PM PDT

I see there is some ORM's that is very easy to use and some that I just don't understand how to use. I want to develop my database one-to-many and many-to-many relations fast and I know ORM's the way to go for rapid development. I want the rapid development but I don't want to give up any ability writing in pure SQLite has. I have a long term project I building that I plan to always improve over time. Is there an ORM like that and if so what's your recommendations?

submitted by /u/hilllomax
[link] [comments]

Uber open sources Rave (runtime annotation validation engine)

Posted: 16 May 2016 11:59 PM PDT

Licensing at top of each source file in oss

Posted: 17 May 2016 10:38 AM PDT

What are the pros and cons of adding the license to the top of each source file, when there is a LICENSE file in the root directory?

I see this very often in oss and find that it adds unnecessary noise to the files. I understand that if the license is fairly restrictive you'll want to add the license to the top of the files, as you want to remind people of the licensing agreement. However, if you are using a very permissible license like the MIT license, what's the point?

submitted by /u/kingjulien1
[link] [comments]

Google Cloud Test Lab to start charging $5 per device hour.

Posted: 17 May 2016 01:50 AM PDT

AutoValue Extensions - Ryan Harter

Posted: 16 May 2016 11:48 PM PDT

Have no ideas for android apps and ready to help you with yours interesting projects

Posted: 17 May 2016 03:30 AM PDT

Recently I faced with the problem that I have no much interest in developing some toy apps in my free time just for testing some architecture approaches and new technologies. But in any way good developer should write a lot of code to be successful. So, now I'm really interested in developing app that can be uploaded to Play Market in the future and used by some set of people. But, unfortunately, I have no ideas and understand that majority of apps should have own server side, cool design, etc.

1) Could you tell about your own android apps on Play Market? How did you catch the idea for that? How many downloads do you have?

2) If you have idea and need some extra hands, I'll be really glad to help you. Contact me by igor.frankon@gmail.com

Perhaps it makes sense to note that I'm not the beginner and have 2 years of commercial experience. Familiar with Clean Architecture, MVP, Retrofit, some RxJava, etc.

submitted by /u/androidmale
[link] [comments]

Best practice for Retrieving/updating centralized Web backend.

Posted: 17 May 2016 06:04 AM PDT

I am developing small app that basically updates and retrieve a data from web server(mysql maybe). Before, my friend used to host in local server(for testing) and would call a php script that connects to mysql to perform basic operation.

I researched about REST API and tools like Retrofit, Spark etc. If i am starting to learn then what would you recommend and what do you think is the best practice?

submitted by /u/thestrox
[link] [comments]

Wait for it… IdlingResource and ConditionWatcher — Our way to test async code with Espresso

Posted: 17 May 2016 01:33 AM PDT

Selfie Lens Libraries

Posted: 17 May 2016 08:44 AM PDT

Does anyone know of any libraries that implement selfie lens animations like SnapChat does? TIA

submitted by /u/curiousone0806
[link] [comments]

What is the best approach to get images from web dynamically?

Posted: 17 May 2016 01:25 AM PDT

I am an android dev who happens to never worked on web technologies before. I am sorry for this naïve question.

I have an android app which will show a lot of images inside it. Image urls are not fixed. More photos will added with time. I want to know what is the best way to get all urls dynamically and then show inside the app. I am not asking for the code I am asking for the best approach.

I have a very simple solution, keeping all urls inside a text file and downloading and parsing it. However I feel like there should be more elegant solution for a problem this common.

Edit: I should added that images will be on amazon s3 and also I am already using Picasso to fetch images from amazon s3 with embedded urls inside the code, but now I want to make it dynamic so I don't have to update the app every time I need to add more photos.

submitted by /u/zandroid
[link] [comments]

Is there a list of all the major new stuff added in each API version?

Posted: 17 May 2016 02:12 AM PDT

I'm trying to decide whether to kick jelly bean or not and I want to know what all Kitkat stuff I'll finally be able to do without that Jelly Bean holding me back.

submitted by /u/koleraa
[link] [comments]

Getting featured for Android Wear

Posted: 17 May 2016 01:26 AM PDT

I have just added Wear support for my app and I think it has the potential to be in the 'Health Goals' list. I wanted to check if someone here knows what it takes to get your app featured in the Android Wear category section in Google Play. Thanks

submitted by /u/markspit
[link] [comments]
Thanks for reading my news about Questions Thread - May 17, 2016 at my blog Custom Droid Rom if you want too share this article, please put the resource, and if you think this article is very usefully dont forget to bookmark this site with CTRL + D on your keyboard to web browser.

New and Hot Article's :

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.