There's only one thing keeping me from switching from Apple to Android phone: being able to read/send texts from my Mac laptop. Is there any way to continue doing so if I bought a new Android?

There's only one thing keeping me from switching from Apple to Android phone: being able to read/send texts from my Mac laptop. Is there any way to continue doing so if I bought a new Android?


There's only one thing keeping me from switching from Apple to Android phone: being able to read/send texts from my Mac laptop. Is there any way to continue doing so if I bought a new Android?

Posted: 09 Sep 2016 01:43 PM PDT

Hey /r/AndroidQuestions, I have an iPhone 5s - and have had so for 2 years - and I'm looking to upgrade. However, I'm still unsure if I want to switch to Android or not.

I recently bought a new mac laptop for the start of the new semester, and my favorite feature is being able to text from either my phone or my laptop. If I get a new Android, I'd still be able to iMessage from my laptop via my Apple ID, but I wouldn't be able to continue a conversation from my laptop on my phone if desired, afaik. Herein lies my question: Is there any Android software (paid/unpaid) comparable to Apple's iMessage multi-device capability?

Edit: Thanks for all the replies! I really appreciate everyone's help/suggestions. Like I said, the only thing deterring me from buying a new Android was this reason, which is now solved! :-)

submitted by /u/Sk8nkill
[link] [comments]

Allo

Posted: 09 Sep 2016 01:01 PM PDT

Do you get the feeling there is something galactically wrong with Allo, and that's why they're not releasing it?

Summer is officially over and I thought maybe they would use the release of Allo to counteract when Apple announced the iPhone 7. Thoughts?

submitted by /u/EndgameArchitecture
[link] [comments]

How can I uninstall AirWatch Agent on my Samsung Galaxy S6?

Posted: 09 Sep 2016 12:59 PM PDT

Hello, I installed AirWatch Agent on my personal phone to check work email. Now I want to remove the app. There's no way to remove or un-enroll it from the Android settings or the app. Here's a series of screenshots that I took related to this issue: http://imgur.com/a/YRtUJ I contacted my company IT, and they don't have an answer. They suggested me to factory reset which I would lose all my data.

Does anyone know how to remove AirWatch Agent on Samsung Galaxy S6?

Thanks.

submitted by /u/sleepyjuju
[link] [comments]

Best use of Google Play Credit

Posted: 09 Sep 2016 09:34 AM PDT

Through my Mobile provider I get a certain amount of credit per month I can use though google play and now Android Pay. What is the best use of this? Best in app purchases? Apps? etc.

submitted by /u/moistheinous
[link] [comments]

Tried to change my wallpaper and it glitched out

Posted: 09 Sep 2016 12:37 PM PDT

I'm on Nexus 6P Android nougat. Sometimes when I change my wallpaper my whole homescreen glitches out. Does any one of you know why?

submitted by /u/bedreviteren
[link] [comments]

Samsung Galaxy 5S Quick access question

Posted: 09 Sep 2016 12:20 PM PDT

Might be a really simple answer, but I can't seem to find one. Before android updated to 6.0, you could customize the name of the link when you saved it to quick access. I can't seem to do that anymore. (Instead of saying "reddit. The front page of the internet" you were able to customize it and just say "Reddit".but now, the only option is to delete or add to Quick access). You're still able to edit bookmarks, but I can't edit the quick access links. Any help?

submitted by /u/jack3067
[link] [comments]

"Error retrieving information from server {DF-CHARTA-01}"

Posted: 09 Sep 2016 04:02 PM PDT

I started to get the error above when opening Google Play across all my devices (Nexus 5X, Galaxy S2, Moto X) last night around 11pm for no apparent reason. I've tried the following: - clearing the Google Play and Play Services data/cache - logging out and back into my Google account - factory resetting my Galaxy Tab S2

None of these have made the error go away. Furthermore, opening play.google.com through Chrome gives me a message saying "An error occurred. Please try again." This doesn't appear to be a network issue as it happens both on Wifi and on my cellular data. Had no trouble accessing Google Play at even 10:30 last night. I tried searching for the error code but couldn't find any information about it. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

submitted by /u/NarcolepticPenguins
[link] [comments]

Poor battery life due to bad signal

Posted: 09 Sep 2016 12:14 PM PDT

Good afternoon,

I live in an area where my phone does not get very good signal if any signal at all. I've noticed that my cell standby is through the roof and my phone battery complete melts in standby due to trying to compensate for the poor signal.

What are my options here? I am always on wifi but I've heard that your phone will still try to connect to a tower nonetheless. I've considered using airplane mode with wifi only but I would like to be able to receive calls if need be so I don't know if that option would be very viable.

Just for reference, the phone I am using is an unlocked Samsung Galaxy Note 5 on Tmobile.

Thanks!

submitted by /u/Joejoejoemoe
[link] [comments]

Operating system and rooting problem.

Posted: 09 Sep 2016 04:00 PM PDT

Greetings. I'm having a problem. HTC One M8.

I'm just going to go right ahead and explain the problem I'm having.

Some time ago I wanted to put stock android on my htc one m8. I wasn't able to do it.

I managed to root it and get to the S-off stage. Never got past that and just stopped there.

Since then I haven't been able to update my phone. 1.5 years.

I keep getting "Software update: 4.16.401.13" -Android Security Patches (libStageFright)

I've read something about it. Don't know if it's bad or what it really means. I have no android experience.

And if I press "install now" when the update pops up it turns the phone off and then boots me into the SU menu even though I unrooted it from the app. But I don't know if that's a full unroot or something.

It's an endless circle and I have no idea what I'm doing. I've tried fixing it multiple times but always given up because it didn't work. Last time I got the stupidest virus on my computer and just restored it because I had had enough. That was in April.

I just want to know if I can fix it and get the newest version back on it. It's annoying having such an outdated phone.

But if it's impossible I'm just going to be getting a new phone sooner.

Thanks in advance for your answer and your help. If more information is needed let me know.

submitted by /u/Thelolmobile11
[link] [comments]

Alright, at the risk of sounding dumb, how do I add music to my Moto X Pure?

Posted: 09 Sep 2016 03:55 PM PDT

I bought a moto x pure today, and I can't find out how to add music to it. I just want to drag and drop music and it be on my phone, but everything I look at is a streaming service. Can anyone here suggest me an app that I can drag and drop music from my PC to my phone? or tell me how to?

If there's already been a thread about this, just link it here please.

submitted by /u/godofgamingsean
[link] [comments]

Android's AutoCorrect is Incorrect?

Posted: 09 Sep 2016 03:51 PM PDT

My phone (Nexus5X, running Nougat) is constantly changing correctly spelled words to incorrect variations.

For example, if I mistype "sleep" by typing "slep," my phone will forever change "sleep" to "slep." ALSO, when I Swype, it will just choose "slep."

I've done a lot of searching, and I can't seem to find anything on this? :(

I've uploaded a video to show.. This is me trying to type "upset."

While on the same subject, how can I access Android's internal dictionary - So I can remove words I never use.

thanks!

submitted by /u/UneducatedBitch
[link] [comments]

Samsung S7 branding on the front is making me miserable. That front logo makes me look around even though I've just purchased the device

Posted: 09 Sep 2016 03:43 PM PDT

This is for the standard 5.1inch screen sized Samsung Galaxy S7.

I dont want a massive dBrand like sticker on the front. I'll take a small sticker to hide that Samsung logo on the front. I'll even take suggestions for markers that I can use on my screen protector. And no I dont want to scratch it off or use sugar (I doubt that would work for the logos being printed under glass).

Here is what the S7 looks like without the logo on the front.

http://pocketnow.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/gs7-no-samsung-logo.jpg

Help please :)

submitted by /u/gulabi_jahaaz
[link] [comments]

Samsung Galaxy S5 contact favorites showing all contacts.

Posted: 09 Sep 2016 03:37 PM PDT

Hey,

Today as I went to make a call I went to my favorites and it listed all of my contacts in the favorite page. It used to have just nine icons and a list at the bottom. Now it just lists every one of my contacts in as an icon.

submitted by /u/baasic
[link] [comments]

How to prove that I never re-installed a certain app?

Posted: 09 Sep 2016 03:34 PM PDT

I uninstalled tinder last year without deactivating the account. FF to today, My GF's sister found me there and told her. I changed my phone few months, which means that the new phone never had tinder on it. How do I prove that? Is there an app history?

submitted by /u/kingruudz
[link] [comments]

Is there a way to get the "stories to read" feature on the pc?

Posted: 09 Sep 2016 03:30 PM PDT

It's pretty great but I want the option of using my computer screen.

submitted by /u/Kraps
[link] [comments]

How do I find were my OTG flash drive is mounted on my Nexus 7?

Posted: 09 Sep 2016 03:29 PM PDT

Does your Huawei/Honor device fail the notification test?

Posted: 09 Sep 2016 03:27 PM PDT

There seems to be a widespread issue of Honor devices that don't get their push notifications until woken.

This persists even after all the usual fixes: - exempting the apps from "battery optimization", - flushing cache, - resetting Play Services and Play Store, and all the usual stuff.

Even lowering the heartbeat interval does not help.

I've run this app on my devices and found that although all my other android devices pass the test just fine, the Huawei software fails the most basic task of registering for push notifications.

Screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/mdEdr

I wonder if this is a general bug that Huawei introduced to their software, as other devices (Nexus 6P, Honor 7 etc) have also had these problem.

submitted by /u/barryspar
[link] [comments]

Time lapse with USB camera (over OTG cable)?

Posted: 09 Sep 2016 03:16 PM PDT

Hi, can someone recommend apps that can do timelapse with a USB camera (webcam) attached to an android phone using an OTG cable. I installed apps that can take pictures and videos, but not time lapse.

Thanks.

submitted by /u/yyujk
[link] [comments]

any way to map touch screen controls for a gamepad?

Posted: 09 Sep 2016 03:13 PM PDT

I play on a nvidia shield portable, but would also like to play games that are only optimized for touchscreens sometimes. It has a mouse that can be activated for this purpose, but that's not really useful for multitouch games.

submitted by /u/BAMvsGAME
[link] [comments]

My brain needs to learn that my phone doesn't have any viruses

Posted: 09 Sep 2016 03:08 PM PDT

I once installed an app through the Play Store (I don't really remember what it was) that asked for some fishy access to my device. I then realized the app asked too much to look into and uninstalled it in less than 10 minutes. I got so nervous that my phone could've gotten a virus that I went low enough to install one of those "anti viruses" just to make sure. The AV told me I did have 1 single virus and "deleted" it. I did some research afterwards and found out those apps are scams so people bought the full version or whatever. It's been 2 months after I downloaded that app and it still haunts me today that it might have a virus.
No I won't reset it to factory settings.

submitted by /u/Typhova
[link] [comments]

Samsung Note 4, adb showing as "offline" stuck in bootloop

Posted: 09 Sep 2016 03:08 PM PDT

So I am using a Note 4, I have TWRP installed and it has a bootloop problem. I know I can fix it if I can run an uninstall.zip to undo the last zip I flashed. The problem is I can't figure out how to get the zip file onto the sd card using adb since adb shows the device as "offline", any ideas?

submitted by /u/mkruse02
[link] [comments]

[HELP] A mod to allow 3rd party apps to write to SD has screwed up my tablet, please help!!

Posted: 09 Sep 2016 03:05 PM PDT

Hi, I have a Digiland DL1010Q tablet with kitkat 4.4.2

Apologies in advance if this post is a little long, but I wanted to be thorough in my explanations in order to better my chances of getting the problem solved.

Kitkat 4.4.2 apparently doesn't allow 3rd party programs to write on an external SD card and since I wanted that functionality back (and I have root access), I decided to do the "Sdfix" modification. It has an app for it in the play store but I decided to do it the manual way as described in many threads online.

The modification is basically to edit the /system/etc/permissions/platform.xml file and add in the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE category the line "<group gid="media_rw" />". This is supposed to give back write permission on sd card to 3rd party apps.

Now the issue is that the particular instructions I was looking at didnt mention reeditting this file's permission after making the edit so the permissions might have not been at 644 (rw- r-- r--) after I made this edit...

Once I rebooted the tablet it booted up fine but once on the desktop, I started getting a bunch of messages that apps were crashing in the background. The tablet came from factory with 2 partitions, one for the OS and the main part of the user apps, and a secondary partition called "INTERNAL STORAGE" with the extra install files for the largest user apps and some settings, etc... The issue seems to be that this secondary partition now cannot be accessed unless i use es file explorer with root access and navigate to the mnt/media_rw/sdcard0 folder (the internal storage has always been referred as sdcard0 before, so the name isnt new). So basically without root, the apps cant access that data partition and load their settings,etc and load properly. At least thats what I think is happening but I could be wrong.

The weird part is that even with root, I can only access the content of the internal storage through es file explorer if I go through the mnt/media_rw/ folder, if I go through other folders, I can't seem to access the content. Without root explorer access, es file explorer can't even access the content of the mnt/media _rw folder. If I go through the "sd card analyst" tool in es file explorer, it would normally display the content of the internal storage, but it now fails and say that it doesnt have the right permission (even if es file explorer has root explorer access).

I have since edited the platform.xml file permissions to make sure they were at 644, reboot, no luck.
I then reverted the changes to platform.xml and made it identical to what it was at the beginning, reboot, no luck and es file explorer navigation was identical.
Through my many googling attempts I found a few other people who had this issue and one user's recommended fix involved deleting the file /data/system/packages.xml (which he said gets modified when platform.xml changes), clearing the cache and delvik cache, then rebooting. I actually tried this and the delvik cache got repopulated normally during bootup but the issue persisted. (the packages.xml file reappeared but I am not sure how identical it is to the one I deleted)

Does anyone have any suggestion on how I could fix my issue without doing a factory reset? I would greatly appreciate any help in solving this short of a full wipe.

submitted by /u/PlanetIndigo
[link] [comments]

iPhone drifter... need LTE bands 2/4/7/17/38 (and ideally 12), must take SD cards and have a headphone jack, have 6 Plus-sized screen

Posted: 09 Sep 2016 02:34 PM PDT

Hi,

I see there have been a few questions in this direction :) I really like my iPhone, but the headphone jack disappearing is likely a deal-breaker for me as I use a lot of different devices, and have lots of sets of good headphones I use for different applications.

My requirements:

  • my Canadian carrier (SaskTel) has its 3G service on the 850 and 1900 MHz bands, and its LTE is on bands 4 and 38. 38 is largely unsupported in Android phones, but the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 and S7/S7 Edge support it. I understand the subreddit prefers less bloaty Android phones but do any others support band 38? Also it's likely my provider will add band 12 soon for rural coverage, and partner carriers in other provinces use bands 2, 7, 40 and 42 but I should be fine with 2 and 7 if I can't get all these bands in one device (the Samsungs have 40 but not 42).
  • my current biggest issue with my iPhone 6 Plus is the lack of an SD slot. I like to put my music library on my device, and it's fairly big. A 64 GB iPhone has been adequate for awhile but I'd need to go 128 GB now. With an SD slot, I could get away with a 32 GB Android device + 128/256 GB SD, or go 64 GB to future-proof and use a 64 GB card for music. (Music library is currently 45 GB in MP3 and 103 GB in Ogg Vorbis (latter in maximum quality)). (I use FLAC locally but I don't require this in a phone.)
  • A headphone jack is mandatory. I prefer being able to use the headphones of my choice, and to use them on multiple devices.
  • Dual SIM would be a nice, but necessary feature. When I travel (excluding USA) I get a local SIM. I see the Samsungs have dual-SIM versions but they're for other markets so I'd have to verify if they support the LTE bands I need. They also make you choose between SD or second SIM, although for occasional use this might be fine. This requirement is the least strict of the ones I have.

The OnePlus Three is really appealing, and has good dual SIM support, but doesn't support all the LTE bands I really ought to have, and lacks an SD slot. (I think it has a headphone jack but I'm not certain.)

Any phones I'm missing? I've checked out the Nexus 6P (lacks band 38; no SD card support?), the Moto Z Force (no headphone jack), the ZTE Axon Pro (supports few LTE bands I need), and the HTC 10 (lacks band 38). Maybe band 38 isn't all that important (I don't have it now) but it'd be nice to have it.

Oh, last thing - I prefer an unlocked phone, so I'll buy an unlocked one rather than getting one from my provider.

Thanks!

submitted by /u/PhotoJim99
[link] [comments]

Emoji-less keyboard

Posted: 09 Sep 2016 02:24 PM PDT

I don't mind the option to have emojis... you can't make a different keyboard for everyone. But having them front and center is really annoying for us that don't use them.

Anyway: I love the simplicity of the default google keyboard but I just want to switch the 'return' button that sadly resides on the 'symbols' page, with the emoji button that lives on the front page:

Main page of keyboard w/ emojis

2nd page of keyboard w/ return

I briefly used TouchPal, which had a smaller emoji button but the full page lock screen ads were a put off.

If there's a 3rd party keyboard that at least lets you change where the emoji button is, great. If there's a way to just change the default android keyboard, better.

Thanks!

Android Nougat Nexus 5x Google Fi

submitted by /u/pirana6
[link] [comments]

Certain app notifications are silent, despite sound being on

Posted: 09 Sep 2016 02:21 PM PDT

Messenger apps like Telegram or MMS will make the phone vibrate or ring like normal. But if, for example, a game app wants to notify me, its icon will appear in the status bar like normal but it will not make any sound nor will the LED blink. It's really inconvenient.

Using a Samsung Galaxy S3 running Android ver. 4.4.2, and my carrier is Verizon.

submitted by /u/csrss
[link] [comments]
Thanks for reading my news about There's only one thing keeping me from switching from Apple to Android phone: being able to read/send texts from my Mac laptop. Is there any way to continue doing so if I bought a new Android? at my blog Custom Droid Rom if you want too share this article, please put the resource, and if you think this article is very usefully dont forget to bookmark this site with CTRL + D on your keyboard to web browser.

New and Hot Article's :

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.