Questions Thread - June 03, 2016

Questions Thread - June 03, 2016


Questions Thread - June 03, 2016

Posted: 03 Jun 2016 05:09 AM PDT

This thread is for simple questions that don't warrant their own thread (although we suggest checking the sidebar, the wiki, or Stack Overflow before posting). Examples of questions:

  • How do I pass data between my Activities?
  • Does anyone have a link to the source for the AOSP messaging app?
  • Is it possible to programmatically change the color of the status bar without targeting API 21?

Important: Downvotes are strongly discouraged in this thread. Sorting by new is strongly encouraged.

Large code snippets don't read well on reddit and take up a lot of space, so please don't paste them in your comments. Consider linking Gists instead.

Have a question about the subreddit or otherwise for /r/androiddev mods? We welcome your mod mail!

Looking for all the Questions threads? Want an easy way to locate today's thread? Click this link!

submitted by /u/AutoModerator
[link] [comments]

Devs, where do you store the stuff you don't want to forget?

Posted: 03 Jun 2016 03:17 PM PDT

Hi ! I'd like to know if you kmow good softwares or websites that are able to store useful Internet articles that you don't want to lose, code snippets, greats tips etc.

I dont have a good memory so I'd love to have a useful software or website to do that. I already know evernote but perhaps there are softwares that are even more development oriented?

Thanks !

submitted by /u/IKIKN
[link] [comments]

Fabulous FABs - sliding in and out in sync with the AppBarLayout

Posted: 03 Jun 2016 04:49 AM PDT

Getting IR Codes from remote?

Posted: 03 Jun 2016 08:15 PM PDT

Hey,

So I recently bought coloured LED lights that came with an IR Remote. However, I'd rather use my phone, there is an app that works but it takes like 5 key presses and different positions where the remote doesn't.

I'm not sure why but I have a hunch it\s because it's trying to output many IR codes, I enabled a settings the app that shows all the IR codes being outputted when I hit a button and theres over 20.

So to narrow it down I wanna create a personal app to control my lights. I was wondering if theres an app on android or a way to tell what IR code is being used when you press a button on the remote so I can then use it in my app to make it more accurate.

Also any tutorials on how to send IR codes from my android apps once I get it from the remote would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Edit: For reference i'm using an s6 edge where I can see the black IR blaster on the top so I know I have one.

submitted by /u/akash227
[link] [comments]

Did the latest Google Repository revision remove libraries?

Posted: 03 Jun 2016 10:54 PM PDT

My play-services-location dependency is no longer resolving after updating Google Repository to revision 28. I looked in my SDK installation, and the play-services-location folder is indeed gone!

Was this a mistake? Or is there a change being made?

submitted by /u/D_Steve595
[link] [comments]

Is it worth implementing push notifications on Android?

Posted: 03 Jun 2016 07:27 PM PDT

Is it worth implementing push notifications on an Android social media app? Do most users ever actually look at their notifications or will they just find it annoying?

submitted by /u/taylo6
[link] [comments]

The next Austin Android meetup is coming up on June 21st!

Posted: 03 Jun 2016 12:30 PM PDT

(Get Inspired) 15 Best New Android Apps of the month : May'16

Posted: 03 Jun 2016 06:16 PM PDT

AdMob end user privacy policy

Posted: 03 Jun 2016 06:29 AM PDT

Hi, guys! I've implemented some banner and interstitial ads in my app using AdMob and I am currently hanging over what to include in my privacy policy. When I registered the AdMob account it also created an AdSense account for me. I read that for using AdSense I have to include in my privacy policy a detailed information about the service but I found literally nothing about using AdMob. My question is: With those ads I placed via AdMob, what exaclty do I need to include in my policy? Am I using this AdSense account by implementing only AdMob and are those two services connected?

submitted by /u/hate_most_of_you
[link] [comments]

Weekly "anything goes" thread!

Posted: 03 Jun 2016 06:08 AM PDT

Here's your chance to talk about whatever!

Remember that while you can talk about any topic, being a jerk is still not allowed.

submitted by /u/AutoModerator
[link] [comments]

Monetization: Do's and don'ts?

Posted: 02 Jun 2016 11:47 PM PDT

How do you decide when it's ok to monetize off of the content, or data of another company or individual? Say for weather apps, or news apps that monetize, how do they avoid being sued for violating Terms of Use? When is monetization ok, and when is it not?

submitted by /u/Omega_927
[link] [comments]

Android Book that involves no coding

Posted: 03 Jun 2016 10:37 AM PDT

I have been learning Android development at home using the Big Nerd Ranch Guide but would like to continue learning while at work (I have a few hours of downtime everyday)

Does anyone have any book suggestions for a book about Android Development (or even Java) that involves no following along with writing your own code that I could read at work? Thanks!

submitted by /u/itznotdeliveryz
[link] [comments]

Android Performance Patterns - This doesn't get reposted nearly as much as it deserves

Posted: 03 Jun 2016 05:02 AM PDT

Native or PhoneGap for my application?

Posted: 03 Jun 2016 02:50 PM PDT

Making an application that is similar to something like Dropbox in that it will pretty much just list files, have a few dialogs when clicking on files and nothing too complex other than that (on the front end). I've seen a lot of hate for PhoneGap on this subreddit, but is it warranted? Is my application simple enough on the front end or should I still go Native?

submitted by /u/946789987649
[link] [comments]

Flooded with fake and invalid IAP requests server side - anyone else?

Posted: 03 Jun 2016 04:08 AM PDT

Hi,

I recently released my latest app, which includes IAP. I do the validation server side as recommended.

However, I get a lot of invalid requests. Some have a junk purchase token, some have missing signature. What is going on? I can understand one user trying to "hack" his way through IAP, but this seems automated somehow, given the numbers.

Did any of you experience this too? How did you react?

submitted by /u/PuzzledJellyfish
[link] [comments]

How many physical devices do you guys have for testing?

Posted: 03 Jun 2016 01:28 PM PDT

We all know that the default emulator is kinda bad, and that testing on real devices always seems to prove better results, so I'd love to know what and how many devices all of you have for testing and why you use those devices s pecifically?

My main test devices are:

  • Samsung Galaxy S7 edge (new tech, 1440p screen, can test out Samsung-related crap)
  • Sony Xperia Z5C (720p screen, idk I just really loved this device when it came out)
  • Nexus 6P (Anrdoid N and stock Android related stuff, testing new beta features)
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (for most tablet stuff)
  • HTC One M8 (1080p screen, still on 5.0 lollipop for testing purposes)
  • HTC One M7 (for KitKat related issues; love this phone. Lots of memories, would never sell it.)
  • Nexus 7 (for older tablet stuff)
  • OG Droid RAZR and Sony Go (for low-end device testing; 4.0+)
submitted by /u/jcbsera
[link] [comments]

Yet another way for applying fonts … and more :) - Andras Nemeth

Posted: 03 Jun 2016 01:08 PM PDT

Use Kotlin Anko DSL and say no to Android Layouts written in XML

Posted: 03 Jun 2016 01:02 PM PDT

Weather API to search which days had rain

Posted: 03 Jun 2016 06:58 AM PDT

Any one know of any good weather API's that will let me query if it rained between certain periods? (ideally id i could pass it a fromDate and a toDate and it would let me know which of those days had rain?) ideally that could cover Ireland, but i could work around that! Thanks guys

submitted by /u/twistxz
[link] [comments]

Gradle: Guide to versions (+Android)

Posted: 03 Jun 2016 03:42 AM PDT

Material Designed Settings/Preference screen Library ( Open-sourced)

Posted: 03 Jun 2016 02:44 AM PDT

Android 6 - Expansion Files & Permissions

Posted: 03 Jun 2016 04:58 AM PDT

Hi there !

I'm working on my app in order to meet the latest Google Play Store guidelines and how the permissions should be handled.

My app needs to download an expansion file when the user starts the app for the 1st time. The app cannot work without it.

Here's the user flow when the app is launched.

If I launch the app for the 1st time, this is what happens :

  • The app asks the needed permission, I select "Deny"
  • The app explains why it's needed and gives the choice to select "OK" or "Cancel". I'm selecting "Cancel".
  • The app explains again why it's needed and only gives the option to "Exit".

I select "Exit" and restarts the app :

  • The app asks the needed permission, but this time, I'm allowed to select "Never ask again". I select it, and select "Deny".
  • The app explains again why the permission is needed and this time, I can either select "Cancel", or "Settings".
  • I select "Cancel", the app explains again why it's needed and my only choice is to exit the app.

By restarting the app again, the apps explains it can't continue, that a permission needs to be granted. The only choices are "Cancel" and a link to the "Settings".

Google contacted me and told me this :

The app shouldn't exit if the user selects "Cancel" after the app explains why the permissions is needed. The app should re-trigger the request until the user has either accepted the permission, or has selected "Never ask again." Reserve sending a user to the app settings until they've selected "Never ask again."

Wouldn't that mean that, according to Google, users should be stuck in a loop, where users would be stuck between a popup explaining why the permission is needed, and an other popup asking for the request again ?

I'm not really used to the latest Android permissions system, so I was wondering if that was the expected behaviour (it seems kinda weird to me) ?

submitted by /u/needfx
[link] [comments]
Thanks for reading my news about Questions Thread - June 03, 2016 at my blog Custom Droid Rom if you want too share this article, please put the resource, and if you think this article is very usefully dont forget to bookmark this site with CTRL + D on your keyboard to web browser.

New and Hot Article's :

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.