Sunday Rant/Rage (May 29 2016) - Your weekly complaint thread!

Sunday Rant/Rage (May 29 2016) - Your weekly complaint thread!


Sunday Rant/Rage (May 29 2016) - Your weekly complaint thread!

Posted: 29 May 2016 04:02 AM PDT

Note 1. Join our Discord, IRC, and Telegram chat-rooms! Please see our wiki for instructions.

This weekly Sunday thread is for you to let off some steam and speak out about whatever complaint you might have about:

  • Your device.

  • Your carrier.

  • Your device's manufacturer.

  • An app

  • Any other company


Rules

1) Please do not target any individuals or try to name/shame any individual. If you hate Google/Samsung/HTC etc. for one thing that is fine, but do not be rude to an individual app developer.

2) If you have a suggestion to solve another user's issue, please leave a comment but be sure it's constructive! We do not want any flame-wars.

3) Be respectful of other's opinions. Even if you feel that somebody is "wrong" you don't have to go out of your way to prove them wrong. Disagree politely, and move on.

submitted by /u/AutoModerator
[link] [comments]

Sync for reddit v11 is now live

Posted: 29 May 2016 09:37 AM PDT

Hey everyone,

This has been a busy busy few months but the full redesign of reddit sync Sync for reddit is now live for everyone!

It's been a real labour of love and I'm really happy it's finally going live for everyone.


Highlights



Album of highlights


Cheers!

Laurence

submitted by /u/ljdawson
[link] [comments]

Honos.io is a scam. I suggest you initiate chargebacks immediately.

Posted: 29 May 2016 08:57 AM PDT

Remember this post advertising Honos.io? https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/4fpayk/hello_randroid_founder_of_honos_here_glass/

This was the service that offered unlimited screen protectors on a subscription basis. Well, it looks like it was a complete scam. It's been months, and not a single person I followed up with has received any sort of reply from the company nor have they received the products they ordered. I, myself, ordered the 3 month subscription just to see if they would follow up. After sending multiple emails, I haven't heard even a peep from them.

It seems like this is how the "company" operates. /u/bakabakablah mentioned in his comment on the original thread that he had a subscription with Honos but hadn't gotten a reply from them, even after repeated emails, in FIVE MONTHS. Immediately after seeing the comment, /u/motorsailmonaco offered to resolve the issue publicly, but never did in reality.

I posted this earlier, and /u/motorsailmonaco begged me to take the post down. I understand the difficulties establishing a business, and I don't want to destroy it with a bad review in its early stages so I gave him another chance. I deleted my earlier post located here to see if he would follow through. He didn't at all. In fact, he recently posted an indiegogo campaign trying to scam even more money.

I suggest you all initiate chargebacks ASAP.

Edit: I'm adding some keywords to make this searchable for anyone who comes across this later.

http://www.honos-glass.com

http://www.honos.tech

http://www.honos.io

Honos

Screen protector membership

Edit 2: All of the Honos sites are down, and people have received an email saying that the founder will be refunding everyone's money. Make sure you get your refund. The founder has made plenty of false promises in the past so it wouldn't be surprising if he took the money and ran.

submitted by /u/luckybuilder
[link] [comments]

Your favorite paid apps on the Play Store?

Posted: 29 May 2016 12:46 PM PDT

Have $73 saved up in Google Play credit. Give me some good ideas (icon packs/games/apps/etc). Gimme a list of your favorite apps you have paid for on the Play Store (top 5-10).

EDIT: I should mention that I already have Nova Prime, Tasker, TiBu, Weather Timeline, Today Calendar (Pro), Phonograph; and I browse Reddit using internet browser (and mobile reddit beta layout).

submitted by /u/JoeFCaputo0113
[link] [comments]

WhatsApp is the most popular messaging app in 109 countries

Posted: 28 May 2016 09:20 PM PDT

[Discussion] Instant Apps is unnecessary and will hurt development with a proprietary environment from Google Play. Feel free to change my opinion.

Posted: 29 May 2016 04:37 AM PDT

Like the title says I'm not just bashing on instant apps for no reason, I would love to discuss this and have someone give me a counter argument.

With that said I like to think that there should be a huge separation between the browser and apps installed on a phone. A browser is like saying "hey I really don't want or trust you on my phone, but I'll visit your website where I know you're limited to the sandbox of a browser" while apps are saying "I want to use your service regularly and I want it integrated as much as possible with my phone. I want you to have full access (with my permission) to all my sensors, services, accounts (again with permission) and anything else you need to give me the best experience possible". There really needs to be a separation between these two things.

What Google is doing is making Android dependent on Google Play Services and the Google Play store. All instant apps will be serviced by Google Play and not the server where a website would normally be hosted. You could argue this takes scaling out of the development equation but it forces Google's hand too. If instant apps could be run by hosting the app on my own server instead of Google Play, I would have no problem with it. I would fully encourage some type of system where developers host their apps on their own servers and serve instant apps directly.

The web needs to remain an open standard that any platform can access with a browser and anyone should be able to host their content from their own servers. It doesn't matter if I run a server off an old laptop or I rent out a a large scale production environment. I should not be dependent on a single company to have users access my app.

I'm well aware that instant apps is optional and before anyone comments "dude you can just not use it", Android is Google's child and they set standards for it. This is pretty obvious with Samsung deprecating APIs to use native Android ones or even just material design. What Google does sets a standard for Android and I really hope that instant apps does not become a "well we are only targeting mobile so might as well only provide instant apps and no browser based website".

To play devil's advocate, I absolutely love Google Play. I would not be able to distribute my apps without it. Nobody would casually visit my website and download an app directly but everyone frequents the app store. Then Advertisement let's me profit from a small free app when I would have no other source of revenue outside charging directly. But the point is, I can upload my app go any market I want. If I want Google Play I can use it, if I want Amazon App Store I can use it, and If I want any third party app store I can upload my .apk directly there. That's my 2 cents criticism is welcomed.

TL;DR Instant Apps needs to work on the same principle as the current web. Anyone can host to any server and not be dependent on Google Play.

submitted by /u/masterpast
[link] [comments]

Android Pay Now Supports a Modified DPI

Posted: 29 May 2016 01:23 AM PDT

what was the best android you've ever owned?

Posted: 29 May 2016 08:00 AM PDT

in my opinion best phone i have ever owned is the htc one m8 i love everything about that phone

submitted by /u/NuclearCerberus
[link] [comments]

Evan Blass on Twitter: "Asus Zenpad Z8 for VZW: Snapdragon 650, 8", 1536 x 2048, 2GB/16GB, 8MP/1.8MP, microSD"

Posted: 29 May 2016 03:16 AM PDT

Classic flash/web games on Android?

Posted: 29 May 2016 02:18 PM PDT

I think almost everyone here remembers playing games on sites like Armorgames, Miniclip, Kongregate and the like. I've seen a few of those "classic" flash games as an actual Android app, and I was wondering if there are any others.

Examples:

Age of War was ported very faithfully and adapted for mobile. The music is the same, the gameplay is mostly the same and it actually seems to have some new "levels", in which you fight enemies with specific strategies. I'm actually finding it a lot more difficult than the original version-- but I might've just gotten sturdy.

Kingdom Rush is probably the most famous webgame-into-mobile-game success story which even got two semi-mobile-only sequels. It's one of the most popular Tower Defense games on Google Play and has really flourished in the mobile environment.

The classic Defend Your Castle game of which I don't remember the exact name got a mobile port/remake/rip-off. I heard it's not as good as the original but it exists.

I was wondering if you guys knew any other games like these which got Android ports?

submitted by /u/velzerat
[link] [comments]

[Weekend Poll] Are You Happy With Your Phone's Battery Life?

Posted: 29 May 2016 06:28 PM PDT

Huawei P9 vs LG G5 DUAL Camera Test Comparison

Posted: 29 May 2016 06:03 AM PDT

HTC 10 XDA Review: HTC Delivers a Delightfully Restrained User Experience

Posted: 28 May 2016 09:32 PM PDT

Verizon HTC 10 update available now

Posted: 29 May 2016 03:14 PM PDT

What's a phone you won't or didn't buy for an extremely specific reason?

Posted: 29 May 2016 02:55 PM PDT

Not things like, bad camera, or bad battery life, or weak SoC, something really specific. For example, my sister got a note 4 instead of a One M8 because she hated the look of the second camera.

submitted by /u/Enderman777
[link] [comments]

People who need large amounts of phones storage, what the heck do you use it on?

Posted: 29 May 2016 12:27 AM PDT

I'm currently rocking a 16GB iPhone 4 while I wait for my 16GB Nexus 5x to arrive in the post, and I've been doing a lot of research and just general reading about the phone while I've been waiting and one of the main complaints I've been seeing is that the 16GB model needs to disappear, because it's not enough.

The 16GB was $359 AU while the 32GB was $419 AU, so I figured it saved a lot of cash and was a no-brainer considering my tight funds but now i'm worried I don't have enough storage. On my iPhone 4, I have about 700 songs downloaded, about 1500 photos saved many of which are 24MP files due to me being into photography and various other apps and games and I still have 1.3GB free! What the heck do people who need 128GB/64GB phones use their phones for?

submitted by /u/Diakia
[link] [comments]

Can you do an 'After the buzz' comment about your current device?

Posted: 28 May 2016 04:02 PM PDT

Google has done a great job of really polishing Android aesthetically, but it's things like this that still bother me.

Posted: 28 May 2016 04:46 PM PDT

Things like when I use Google Now to view news stories on my tablet, the cards only take up half the screen .

It would be really nice to see Google expand these cards in terms of width to show more details about the articles, seeing as the real estate is being unused. Is there a reason Google has left it how it is now? Shouldn't it be displayed similar to how Google Keep displays cards? What would changing this entail?

submitted by /u/pegathith
[link] [comments]

Google's mockups always have photos in contacts' avatars. How many of you have your contacts like this?

Posted: 28 May 2016 04:55 PM PDT

Thanks for reading my news about Sunday Rant/Rage (May 29 2016) - Your weekly complaint thread! at my blog Custom Droid Rom if you want too share this article, please put the resource, and if you think this article is very usefully dont forget to bookmark this site with CTRL + D on your keyboard to web browser.

New and Hot Article's :

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.